Nickel in solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claudie

I have a solution left over from some fingers I recently refined. After dropping the Gold with SMB, I have a solution with a slightly green color to it. Stannous test shows brown, but then after a couple of minutes, it turns clear.
I think this is due to Nickel in the solution. Does that sound right?

Copper (as well as iron) can also give a green solution.

DMG will give you a definitive test for nickel. A drop of your solution, several drops of ammonia, and a drop of DMG test solution will turn red if nickel is present.

Dave

Thank you Dave,
I knew about the Copper & I don't have any DMG. I guess I am just mostly concerned about making sure I have all of the Gold. It was the brown Stannous test that eventually turned clear that caught my attention.

FrugalRefiner said:
DMG will give you a definitive test for nickel. A drop of your solution, several drops of ammonia, and a drop of DMG test solution will turn red if nickel is present.
Pink, actually, and a very pretty one at that.

Harold

If there is a lot of SOx gas in the solution the stannous test will show brown.

I had a heavily nickel solution once and when I put iron in it to clean the waste it plated out on the iron so much that it stopped working real PITA.

Eric

etack said:
If there is a lot of SOx gas in the solution the stannous test will show brown.

I had a heavily nickel solution once and when I put iron in it to clean the waste it plated out on the iron so much that it stopped working real PITA.

Eric

What color was the solution and what was it made up of ?

Latest posts

Back