Nitric gone bad.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I clean jewellery by heating it up slighly and then submerging it in nitric acid. I used a fresh batch of nitric that I also use for my ar. It has never happened before that nitric turns the jewellery black. Silver gold and even white gold. I have ordered new nitric and if that works I know that it was bad nitric acid that cuased the catastophic non drops. On the brightside it led me to this wonderfull site.
I tend to agree with Goldshark, it is not unlikely that your Nitric have been contaminated. Has this become an increasing issue?

I clean jewellery by heating it up slighly and then submerging it in nitric acid. I used a fresh batch of nitric that I also use for my ar. It has never happened before that nitric turns the jewellery black. Silver gold and even white gold. I have ordered new nitric and if that works I know that it was bad nitric acid that cuased the catastophic non drops. On the brightside it led me to this wonderfull site.
Nitric acid is a long term stable solution in storage. That being said, I think I remember you mentioning plastic?!? Nitric will oxidize almost all plastic in time. PTFE is about the only one long term stable. Pp and hdpe are only considered as resistant and not impervious. Glass or stainless steel is a better choice for concentrated nitric. Most industrial storage containers are made of stainless. Just posted for information.
Also if your gold turned “ black “ you might not have had enough nitric to put your gold in solution. The black color is sponge gold cemented out by the base metals in your original sample. If you have a positive stanis test and no drop cementing it out and starting over is usually necessary to move along. If you have iron fooling you then you should be properly confused and you need to pay more attention to your starting material. Many people starting out find iron to be a major disappointment on their road to spending much on a little gold.

Nitric acid is a long term stable solution in storage. That being said, I think I remember you mentioning plastic?!? Nitric will oxidize almost all plastic in time. PTFE is about the only one long term stable. Pp and hdpe are only considered as resistant and not impervious. Glass or stainless steel is a better choice for concentrated nitric. Most industrial storage containers are made of stainless. Just posted for information.
Also if your gold turned “ black “ you might not have had enough nitric to put your gold in solution. The black color is sponge gold cemented out by the base metals in your original sample. If you have a positive stanis test and no drop cementing it out and starting over is usually necessary to move along. If you have iron fooling you then you should be properly confused and you need to pay more attention to your starting material. Many people starting out find iron to be a major disappointment on their road to spending much on a little gold.
Nitric will not dissolve Gold, unless there are an oxidizer present.

Nitric will not dissolve Gold, unless there are an oxidizer present.
It will dissolve Silver and Copper though, have this particular batch been used to clean Sterling are some other Silver alloy?

Latest posts

Back