Nitric issues Please help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Barren,
Here is what I have found and I do have questions on the process.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=764&hilit=Nitric+H202#p6629
From this string I read about the use of of H202 with the Nitric. It also mentioned the use of glycol. Now The statement was this...
Code:
Goldsilverpro said:
In the examples given, it shows that, for each gram of copper dissolved, in whatever solution, it will require 2.4 - 3.4 mL of 30% hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to totally suppress the fumes. For 35% H202, it will take 2.1mL - 2.9 ml per gram of copper.
Is there a formula or a (I hate to use the term guess) as to the amount of copper in pins gold or silver plated? I think that I read somewhere that there is about 80% copper content in pins. Is this correct?

You copper or steel(depending on material) content will be higher than that. You can do the math by googling but on average 1-2 g of gold per lb of pins.

In your calculation on how much nitric to use you can figure just enough to do the job or just a little under what it takes. This all comes with experience and how you personaly process your material.

But the combination of the chems to be able to remove twice the amount of material. Nice 8)

I would guess average gold plating to be in the 1% or less range. Base your calculations on the full weight of the pins and withhold some solution to add if needed.

I am about to get back into this. Has anyone done any more test or with the use of H202 with the nitric? I need to know if it will make a big difference if I use the 3%. I have seen only one post that suggest that the 3% will add too much water in to the mix. No other post to that effect. Should I use the 3% or go buy the 35%?

Harkey1 said:
I am about to get back into this. Has anyone done any more test or with the use of H202 with the nitric? I need to know if it will make a big difference if I use the 3%. I have seen only one post that suggest that the 3% will add too much water in to the mix. No other post to that effect. Should I use the 3% or go buy the 35%?

Use the 3% till you know what you are doing and how the reactions are supposed to go. Don't worry about the water it helps the reaction to have some water in it.

Latest posts

Back