Noob here... Intro...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevlyn

Hello to all, as one might tell, I am a noob to this forum and to refining...
First I would like to thank everyone here for the wealth of information... I have been reading loads of material.. I've ordered Steve's DVDs (all), and currently absorbing Hoke's book.
I have Recently purchased (I think) everything one could need for a home refining lab... All safety gear, acids, chems, new fume hood, hot plate, glasswares, furnace, safety gear, torches, etc, etc, etc.... Oh yea... Did I mention safety gear.. :mrgreen:
I will submit a photo once it is all set up...

Anyway, the other reason I am introducing my self is to see if there is anyone in my area (RI) that would be interested in getting together to share in this new endeavor... Both in learning and using my new lab facility... It's still in the set up stages but will soon be operational. One thing is certain though, I will not start "Any" (notice the capital "a") processing until I have a complete understanding of all techniques and safety.

So, there it is... A grand hello to all and now back to my studies...

Hello & welcome.
You have invested quite a lot already so im curious & have a question or two since you didn't state if its a new hobby..... or a business, both quite a different end program.
How do you plan to get your e-scrap for recovery, and still make profit? Hopefully free? Or is it just a hobby so that does not matter.
You didn't mention it so im curious.

Dave

Hello Dave,
Good question, it's kind of both business and hobby... I do a lot of estate liquidation business, I've been in the antiques and fine arts business for over 30 years and I have many friends in the industrial liquidation business as part of my network... So, between my colleagues who generally give me their e-scrap, and the gold, silver and gold filled I get from the estates, I get quite a lot of PM every year. Historically, I have been selling my scrap to someone in the trade for 90-92%.

Recently I picked up a truck load of old computers and memory cards, did some research, found this site and like mostly everything else I do.. I plunged in feet first... :roll: , so I figured I would get everything I need and start doing my own refining....I needed a hobby... And make some money at it at the same time...
Steven

Ah I see now,
Your in a great position to get your PMs, better then most.
Have fun & be safe.
I found reading Hokes very interesting as a read & im not usually into chemistry but she makes it interesting the way she wrote it for well...... anyone, and very easy to understand. Its actually a bit addicting and I find it hard to stop reading it once I start. LOL.
You really can find any answer you need within the pages somewhere.
Am looking forward to seeing your first button............or bar? 8)

Dave

trade for 90-92%.

You will probably not get more by refining it yourself, maybe less due to the costs and the work. On the other side, you cannot be cheated and it is a very stylish hobby. Welcome.

Greetings Solar,
I agree, likely won't be any more profitable.... But yea, I will get a certain pleasure and satisfaction from doing it myself... Not to mention excersizing the nerdy side of my brain...can't wait to make my first button /(bar). I will likely start with some small batches just to get my feet wet and gain confidence & experience... I have a good amount of fingers and other e-scrap, then try the gold filled and then inquarting some karat scrap gold. It's certainly a fascinating science with various processies & techniques. This will be fun... 8) :idea:

If you learn your trade and refine properly using minimum chemicals and recover all the values you should be in profit, bear in mind once you are proficient at recovery and refining it pays to run large batches rather than small ones where you can. Once established you can then offer to toll refine for others who may well be in the same situation your were in which will help with costs giving your own purchases a free refining cost excluding time. Make sure you run a good stockpot as with mixed materials you could well catch unexpected but profitable values for later recovery.

Latest posts

Back