Nordic Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aferland66

Supporting Member
Hello, I have been separating my electronic scrap and I find I have a lot of copper stuck in with aluminum in my mix metal bin. One of the things I want to do is try my hand at jewellery making since I already do lapidary work and have quite a few stones that need to be mounted. I read up on Nordic gold and think it would be a good way to use the Copper/Aluminum mixes to start testing my pouring/moulding. Has anybody played around with it? It's hard to get accurate weight of each metals from those mixed pieces and I'm wondering how close to the ratios I have to be?

Yes, I was going to use brass so I don't have to work with the pure Zinc. I'm just wondering if anybody knows how far I can vary the ratios since my Al and Copper are a bit hard to calculate with the mixed part I have

I've played around with melting bits of Al + Cu, and you get a very pretty yellow brass in quite a range of ratios.

Sometimes you end up with an alloy that has mutli-colored iridescence, almost like peacock ore, which might be a result of traces of other metals in the scrap.

I'm not trying to be a jerk....but I have to ask.

I hope you're making Nordic gold to practice with and not to pass off as alloyed gold.
Not at all, I've been working with Opal for a few years, and I have lower grade stones that are still nice but not worth mounting into real gold. I want to practice with those making moulded rings and pendants that I will sell for cheap "As Nordic Gold" with an explanation of what it is. If I want people to trust me when I sell the real stuff, I'm not going to pass it off as real gold. I just figure it's better than brass rings since it's supposed to be Hypoallergenic and non reactive. I may get a stamp made with "Nordic Gold 0k lol" made for my stuff ;)

Latest posts

Back