OK all you math wizards. Let's figure plating values!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silversaddle1

SO I have been told by two different sources that the saddle from my other post is indeed gold plated. OK, I will believe it when I see it with my own eyes. But, with that in mind, the one jeweler's report says 18-22 karat gold plated over nickel. SO lets just say it is indeed gold plated. Now we must then figure that if is gold plated over nickel as the reports states, then the plating would have to be very thick, thicker than mil-spec for sure. Otherwise it would wear right off something as used as a saddle, right?

This brings up some interesting questions then. Since the saddle has press formed "spots" as shown below, one must think that the spots were formed first, then plated. So we can assume the plating will be on both sides of the spot. Now, with that in mind, after the spot was formed, Flowers would have to solder a split rivet or two onto the back of each spot to mount it to the leather. So how would that heat affect the plating? Or, do you think the rivets were soldered onto the spot before plating as well?

Now the next thing would be the engraving. Since the saddle is not solid gold, but gold over nickel, then we must again assume the corner plates and other flatwork on the swells and horn, etc. were also plated after they were made as the engraving in them would show as nickel, not gold. So again, the plating should be on both sides of the flatwork as well.

So with all that said, take a look below at a spot from the same maker and you can see it's just over 1 1/2" square. Could some one figure up the surface area and what the gold value would be if the plating was just mil-spec? I have this saddle bought, and the final sale is after my personal inspection. I know what the saddle would be worth if it was just a silver saddle, with no gold. The gold is the wild card.

I'm estimating there will be over 600 of this type of spot alone on the saddle, not including all the other styles and shapes on the rig.

And Harold, please feel free to delete the other saddle post if you wish as we have sorted that out. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• spot.JPG
    spot.JPG
    3.2 MB
theres a hole in the equation right off.nothing is ever plated in karat gold, it just doesnt work that way.gold filled can be karat gold with a base substrate.when gold is plated to a base metal, its from a gold solution and goes on pure.im no expert and im sure that if im wrong someone will correct me.

Geo,

Electrodeposition of gold alloys is very much possible.
I'm sure GSP will be all over that soon. :mrgreen:

silversaddle1

I agree the math can be confusing... i have used my website calculator:
1.5"x1.5" = 2.25 sq"
2.25 x 600 = 1350 sq"
Mil-spec = ?? 50 microinchs ??

The calculator returns an answer of 21.34g of gold, had it been 24K plating. Does it? Who knows...

Since Specific Gravity of yellow 18K is around 15.6 g/cm the whole calculation should based on that, so you can't just deduct 25% off of the result above...
Sorry, i just can't work my brain to manually formulate into the calculation at this late hour (1 AM here)

There are too many unknowns ... You should also consider surface wear as well.

Geo said:
you say a jeweler tested it? with an acid test? you may want to double check their test.

Don't know how the test was conducted. There is supposed to be a detailed report on test findings that goes along with the saddle. I'm interested in seeing that report.

I in no way know anything about this but for some reason the term gold rolled comes to mind.

eeTHr said:
Plating experts---

Is there a way to plate only the front of these pieces?
You don't need a plating expert. Yes, a piece can be masked and plated only where desired.

Harold

Latest posts

Back