Opinions about a different setup of electrolytic cells ( silver , gold etc)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of using filter bags hanging inside the electrolyte, i thought of a different system that should yield (in theory) cleaner crystals on the kathode.

I'm using a 5000ml beaker and inside it a 2000ml beaker
The impure Silver for example goes into the smaller beaker , and i position stainless steel bars or sheets along the walls of the 5000Ml beaker.
i did a drawing.. attached.
Like this electrons have to go Up instead of down with no risk of contamination of the electrolyte .
What do u guys think?

The electrolyte is just a few mm above the inner beaker to allow electron flow.

Anode is PT or pure Silver, Kathode Stainless steel sheets or bars, in case of a silver cell for example

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.51.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.51.27 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Filter bags are superior, on the cheap un-glazed flower pots work.

You also missed a couple of steps in your process, watch streetips. Who incidentally puts out some of the finest electrolyticly refined silver on the planet.

p1.jpg
p2.jpg

Last edited:
I see from your previous posts your experiencing some difficulty purifying your silver.

Read Hokes refining precious metals wastes, and follow streetips lead.

I've been watching streetips videos , he has a few tips that actually will help me a lot in the next batch.
i didn't realize how crucial the cleaning process every step of the way is.
And one thing i did wrong , i didn't dilute my dissolved copper/silver solution enough.
Which in fact would explain why my copper bars have been eaten up so strongly while cementing
Still too much nitric in the solution

Instead of using filter bags hanging inside the electrolyte, i thought of a different system that should yield (in theory) cleaner crystals on the kathode.

I'm using a 5000ml beaker and inside it a 2000ml beaker
The impure Silver for example goes into the smaller beaker , and i position stainless steel bars or sheets along the walls of the 5000Ml beaker.
i did a drawing.. attached.
Like this electrons have to go Up instead of down with no risk of contamination of the electrolyte .
What do u guys think?

The electrolyte is just a few mm above the inner beaker to allow electron flow.

Anode is PT or pure Silver, Kathode Stainless steel sheets or bars, in case of a silver cell for example
You intention is to keep any anode slime away from the cathode, right? No sure if that's needed or not. It could get encapsuled in the deposited silver i guess.
Suspending the cathode from the bottom could also suffice. Experiment with cathode sizes and distance from anode to find your sweet spot.

One mm gap to let the current flow over the beakers edge is a bit small, considering evaporation over time.

Keeping the current low is crucial, or formed gas bubbles will convect anode slimes up and out the small beaker.

Your plan could work. Electrically Insulate the anode going down into the solution.
I would go for a silver stem with a silicone cover, or it will be eaten in half at the surface of the liquid and fall off. You will have to remake it regularly. It will be eaten away far to inside the insulation, preventing it to make contact to the silver shot.

Let us know what your findings are. It will be trial and error to figure out if there is an advantage or not.

But wgat caused you to look for other options than an anode bag? Practical reasons or just theory?

Martijn.

You intention is to keep any anode slime away from the cathode, right? No sure if that's needed or not. It could get encapsuled in the deposited silver i guess.
Suspending the cathode from the bottom could also suffice. Experiment with cathode sizes and distance from anode to find your sweet spot.

One mm gap to let the current flow over the beakers edge is a bit small, considering evaporation over time.

Keeping the current low is crucial, or formed gas bubbles will convect anode slimes up and out the small beaker.

Your plan could work. Electrically Insulate the anode going down into the solution.
I would go for a silver stem with a silicone cover, or it will be eaten in half at the surface of the liquid and fall off. You will have to remake it regularly. It will be eaten away far to inside the insulation, preventing it to make contact to the silver shot.

Let us know what your findings are. It will be trial and error to figure out if there is an advantage or not.

But wgat caused you to look for other options than an anode bag? Practical reasons or just theory?

Martijn.
i thought about the silicone insulation, and the electrolyte level is higher, i accounted for evaporation.
i tried this with a Coppersulfate electrolyte on impure copper, since it's cheap and easy.
It does work very well. It's clean , visibility of whats going on with glass beakers is a beauty.

As for the reasons, i wanted to try an approach that would pollute the electrolyte less, so that when rinsing the pure product (in this case copper ) i'd have less impurities to deal with.
There are so many contaminants, other metals that get stripped along or fine slime that passes through the filter etc..

i will try both approaches with silver, two separate cells one w the bag in a steel pot and one like this, lets see what results i yield. Still waiting on a new batch of nitric thou.

Back