Optimum method

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjavanb123

All,

This is the analysis for the material discharged from hole #1 of shaker table. What do you think is the best routes to process it? Here is the analysis,

Al 0.11%
As 0.018%
Ba 7.8%
Be 0.0%
Bi 0.42%
Ca 0.11%
Cd 0.0%
Ce 0.06%
Co 0.01%
Cr 0.01%
Cs 0.0%
Cu 21.2%
Fe 21.4%
Ga 0.0%
Ge 0.0%
Hf 0.01%
In 0.0%
La 0.07%
Mg 0.04%
Mn 0.26%
Mo 0.0%
Na 0.01%
Nb 0.14%
Ni 2.33%
P 0.03%
Pb 11.9%
Rb 0.0%
Re 0.0%
S. 0.01%
Sb 0.06%
Sn 16.2%
Sr. 0.10%
Ta 1.35%
Ti 3.38%
W 0.03%
Y 0.02%
Zn 2.85%
Zr 0.50%
Au 0.73%
Ag 0.40%
Pd 0.15%
Pt 0.0%

I was thinking to first remove Fe, Ni and possibly Ti by magnet, then remove Sn, Pb, Zn using lye and small addition of hydrogen peroxide, following a dilute nitric acid to dissolve most of base metals, then separate Au from Ta by dissolving in aqua regia.

Please comment.

Regards
Kj

with the amount of Sn you have, and the current market value, well, go after it...

after dissolving in Sodium hydroxide & peroxide, how will you reclaim Sn & Pb ?

Do you believe this solution could dissolve any other base metals worth recovering ?

How will you get the Cu ?

Will you try to get the Pd ? (Ag & Pd looks low compared to Au)

Do you believe the magnetic separation could drag some plated PMs over ferrous material in the process ?

Alex

Alex,

For Sn recovery, I am going to boil few of my boards in glycerine to recover few grams of solders and try lye and hydrogen peroxide addition to see how it long it takes. I might even add a piece of silver and copper to the mix see what effects does it have on them.

As for precipitating tin or lead I believe Lou under the post titled "solder", mentions precipitating both tin and lead as hydroxides then mixing them with carbon.

Lye and hydroxide can dissolve transitional metals, so I guees it will dissolve copper as well. But this has to be confirmed and verified.

In my plan, copper along with silver and palladium will dissolve in dilute nitric acid, then silver can be dropped as silver chlordie, filtered and processed later. Copper nitrate along with palladium in nitric solution, can be cemented using iron, but the cemented copper I guess will precipitate palladium. So I was thinking more to the line of electrolysis to get copper, then get palladium using zinc powder.

My boards were leached using cyanide, and as you read my related post it contained very minimal amount of gold, so even if you did not remove the plating from ferrous parts you will not lose that much of values. This again depends on the type of boards you process. Mobile and high telecom boards pins and plating components yield much higher in gold so they must be leached prior to gridning and shaker table.

Best regards
Kevin

kjavanb123 said:
Alex,

For Sn recovery, I am going to boil few of my boards in glycerine to recover few grams of solders and try lye and hydrogen peroxide addition to see how it long it takes. I might even add a piece of silver and copper to the mix see what effects does it have on them.

As for precipitating tin or lead I believe Lou under the post titled "solder", mentions precipitating both tin and lead as hydroxides then mixing them with carbon.

Lye and hydroxide can dissolve transitional metals, so I guees it will dissolve copper as well. But this has to be confirmed and verified.

In my plan, copper along with silver and palladium will dissolve in dilute nitric acid, then silver can be dropped as silver chlordie, filtered and processed later. Copper nitrate along with palladium in nitric solution, can be cemented using iron, but the cemented copper I guess will precipitate palladium. So I was thinking more to the line of electrolysis to get copper, then get palladium using zinc powder.

My boards were leached using cyanide, and as you read my related post it contained very minimal amount of gold, so even if you did not remove the plating from ferrous parts you will not lose that much of values. This again depends on the type of boards you process. Mobile and high telecom boards pins and plating components yield much higher in gold so they must be leached prior to gridning and shaker table.

Best regards
Kevin

Glycerine has no benificial use in the process IMHO.

Sodium hydroxide to remove limited organics, tin and possibly some of the lead.

Dilute sulphuric to remove the steel and some of the copper.

Ferric chloride to remove the copper and some of the other base metals.

Nitric to remove the silver and Paladium.

AR to recover the balance of the PM's.

Just my humble oponion.

Raost the material between each process.

And if you do enough searching and reading you can reuse some of the chems after processing them to remove the metals recovered.

Bjorn,

I know about Park process. I am trying to take advantage of the material fine size and smaller volume that gets discharged from shaker table and process them using right chemicals so I can produce metals of interest faster. I am interested in recovery of gold, silver, palladium, copper, tantalum, and if possible tin and lead. Obviously the magnetic metals can be sold as an alloy once I can melt them in my induction furnace or can be sold as iron scrap.

Regards,
Kj

Barren,

I am using glycerine tommorow to recover some tin solders for the purpose of conducting tests on them using lye peroxide combination, hcl, and dilute sulfuric acid. This will not be used to process the discharged concentrates.

I was on impression that metals above the hydrogen are not reacted with sulfuric acid, unless they are in oxide stage, like copper oxide dissolves in dilute sulfuric but pure copper will not dissolve in concentrated sulfuric acid. So I was thinking to use concentrated sulfuric to dissolve tin, and ferric to get the copper.

I still have to do much research as the first and second stages of my process are being implemented and tested.

Regards,
Kevin

kjavanb123 said:
Barren,

I am using glycerine tommorow to recover some tin solders for the purpose of conducting tests on them using lye peroxide combination, hcl, and dilute sulfuric acid. This will not be used to process the discharged concentrates.

I was on impression that metals above the hydrogen are not reacted with sulfuric acid, unless they are in oxide stage, like copper oxide dissolves in dilute sulfuric but pure copper will not dissolve in concentrated sulfuric acid. So I was thinking to use concentrated sulfuric to dissolve tin, and ferric to get the copper.

I still have to do much research as the first and second stages of my process are being implemented and tested.

Regards,
Kevin

That's pretty much correct.

The sodium hydroxide will a

Today I experiment with tin solder, copper and silver dissolution. I manually collected 1.6g of tin solders from boards using boiling gleycerine, 2.6g of copper wire, and 0.6g of silver. Put everything in the beaker, the metal percentage will be 1.6 x 100 divivded by 4.8 which is 33% tin solder, 54.16% copper and 12% silver.

Added 20ml of 50% nitric acid, it went to work immidately, dissolving silver, converting tin to metastannic acid, lead to lead nitrate, and copper.

Here is the solution within few minutes of reaction,
image.jpg

12 mins into the reaction, solution has turned to blue, with visible layer of metastannic acid, mixed with lead sulfate,
image.jpg

Added 40 ml of hot water to solution, most of lead nitrate dissolved in it, lesson learned to save water addition after reaction stopped and tin paste mixed with lead nitrate are filtered,
image.jpg

I poured most of clear blue solution into another beaker, rinsed the metastannic acid few times, then added 50/50 water and sulfuric acid mix to tin paste, very exorthemic reaction started, all tin paste dissolved,
image.jpg

Filtered part of blue solution, added just few drops of hcl and white cloud formed, I also found that 30 mins in dilute nitric acid could only dissolve 1.8g of copper wire, and 0.8g of it was untouched.
image.jpg

This experiment showed me how long does a mix like that takes place to dissolve in dilute nitric acid, how to deal with tin solders, and lead.

The only unknown to me is if copper nitrate solution contained palladium. How would I precipitate it? Is zinc cementing working? If I put iron scrap in this solution would that precipitate copper, and the copper precipitate palladium as blakc powder?

Regards,
Kevin

All,

I tried a series of reaction on a large amount of mixed metals powder, which was separated using blue bowl on pulverized boards,

I added hcl at room temperature to a batch of mixed metals, it was reactive first, and lots of bubbles, so I let it react over night, the next morning, I filtered it and this is what it shows,
image.jpg

I am going to play with pH level and see what kinds of hydroxide I am getting.

Copper nitrate solution, as I noticed this morning there was a thick white layers on the bottom of jar, and I will try to dissolve it in hot water to confirm it is lead nitrate,
image.jpg

I will try to see if there is any traces of silver or palladium in copper nitrate solution.

Regards,
Kevin

Hi,

According to Wiki, color of cobalt chloride crystals are blue or red, cheched the cobalt hydroxide and that was also blue or red.

Did another image search for manganese chloride solution and it matches the color of solution in first cup. But at the very first hour of reaction it was gray to black color, which I think most have been for dissolving tin.

Regards
Kevin

Latest posts

Back