Ore identification please help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you were ever to search for gold here in central Europe, based on experience with US deposits, you will also had hard time based on your previous experience. With deep study of geology and topology it will be much more doable.

Some deposit models could also apply here. But basically said, ore here look greatly different.

I would do as well there as I do here; without question.

Many envy me because of my skill set, and that I can find ore bodies as easily as I do.

This is a thread from back in my early days on this site sharing the level of knowledge and understanding I had and currently have on the subject of ore deposits.

Thread '"GoldBug University". Ore photo's, tips, hints, etc.' "GoldBug University". Ore photo's, tips, hints, etc.

I have very little need of any further study on the topic of ores, ore bodies and the minerals that they contain.

I really can't say, but my experience is, that the more you learn about a topic, the more you understand how restricted your knowledge is.
So I find your statement a bit puzzling.

I really can't say, but my experience is, that the more you learn about a topic, the more you understand how restricted your knowledge is.
So I find your statement a bit puzzling.
Read "Goldbug University" and you might understand my sentiment.

I know far more now than I did back then, and I was good back then.

30 plus years of study and learning combined with wisdom and understanding.

It has become openly obvious that Reno Chris isn't going to come back and tell us which samples contain Gold.

I am reasonably certain that it is because it would validate my skill set and diminish his own reputation at the same time.

I looked him up on YouTube awhile back and spoke with him there on the subject of coming back here to post an answer.

He stated that he would, and never did.

Therefore, here are the screen caps of our conversation with each other on YouTube.

Capture+_2022-05-15-03-08-56.pngCapture+_2022-05-15-03-09-33.pngCapture+_2022-05-15-03-09-54.pngCapture+_2022-05-15-03-10-20.pngCapture+_2022-05-15-03-10-58.pngCapture+_2022-05-15-03-11-18.pngCapture+_2022-05-15-03-11-38.png

Chris pops up from time to time, when he is back from what ever trips he is doing.
He will reply in time.
That you were, and are trying to cover for Chris. You bit, and it worked.

Many here know that Chris and I are Titans in the Prospecting/Mining World.

We both know and understand much.

What I didn't know is that Chris is someone who's work I studied way back as part of my study to become as good as I am.

Instructor and Student butted heads.

I put my former instructor in his place by answering his challenge correctly.

He has no desire to validate my skill set.

Many here would like those answers from Chris.

It won't happen.

With all that said;
my point has been made.

Well I have no idea who he is, besides his appearance on the forum.
But I do not like ill speaking about anybody that are not present and can defend themself.
He probably is a big boy and can speak out when he is back.
So then you boys can fix this among yourselves in a manner you agree upon.

So that is why I asked what you hoped to accomplish by that.
You may be the King himself but the only one looking bad now in my eyes right now is you.

So please you two, fix this another place.

I put my former instructor in his place by answering his challenge correctly.
OMG Rick - get off your high horse !!!

Chris is a VERY highly valued member of this forum who takes his time (when he has time) to "try" to help people out

He has been at this just as long as you have & knows as much as you do - in fact you admit that he has been a teacher to much of what you know - & yet you come on here to challenge him - even confront him - for no other reason then to prove yourself better then the man that helped to teach you

That would be like me challenging - even confronting - my teachers - like 4metals, Harold_v, GSP, nickvc (& others) with no other purpose then to now try to prove myself as better then them

This is NOT a place for a pissing contest to see who is better &/or the best --- it a place to discuss & teach things related to the recovery & refining of PMs

I just had to "correct" you on a matter in this thread -----

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/cinnabar.28830/page-3#post-326695
Does the FACT that I had to correct you on that matter make me a better man then you ??? --- certainly not - it just means there was a correction in order to what you posted for the benefit of all

Most all of us (if not all of us) that have been long time members of this forum have nothing short of absolute respect for Chris in his taking his time to post what he knows here to help members out

IMO - all this finger pointing at Chis you are doing - for no other reason then to try to prove yourself better then him - is doing nothing other then proving yourself to be a complete ass --- don't forget - as you point a finger at Chris - three fingers are pointing back at you !!!

There is no question that you are good at what you do & know Rick & therefore you are certainly able to help others out - BUT - you are NOT THE MAN - & you are NOT BETTER THEN CHRIS !!!

I don't blame Chis one bit for not engaging with you - I am SURE
Chris has better things to do with his time then to get in a pissing match with you - just to try to prove who is the better man

IMO - his being smart enough to not engage in such foolish games - in & of it's self prove him to be the better man

So get off your high horse Rick & stop this foolish game

AND for what it is worth Rick - I have enough respect for you that I "may" want to employ your assay services in the future - so I hope you stick around

I apologize for some of my language in this post but feel there was no other way to say what needed to be said

Kurt

My take on this, is that many people on this site ask questions about prospecting ores. All of the champions out there , know you can't look at an ore and determine the values by looking at it. maybe someday, when technology gets a little more advanced, we can plug an XRF directly into our brains, and get a proper reading, without having to crush the ore. Getting off point a little, back to the meat. I originally joined this site with an interest in refining only. Lots of other sites for rock hounds. It seems, as others have posted, that this site is commonly more about pissing contests , and social media, than helping people get straight answers about how to refine properly, or fix a mess up in chemistry procedures. Once again, just asking the moderators to screen a little more of the posts, and decide what really is important. Please keep more in the theme of refining. It makes it easier to research an answer to a problem, rather than searching through a C.F. of posts not relevant to refining. It detracts from your site. Social media BS people should hook up on Facebook.

Just had a brilliant idea. Lets let people post pictures of their metallic alloys. Then we can have a $ 5-10 pool to guess which one has gold or silver, or whatever.

My apologies for taking so very long on this, I have been swamped and then couldn't find the original photos on my computer. But I have found them now and here is the story that goes with each.
No. 1 is waste from a copper mine, it is a depleted gossan (oxidized sulfides). Tens of thousands of tons of this stuff were thrown out on the dump of a small copper mine worked commercially in the late 1960s. Decades later testing by geologists familiar with the deposit, showed that the depleted gossan waste held no copper, but did hold an average of about 2 grams of gold per ton, making it low grade gold ore. So yes, No. 1 is gold ore, but it was tossed on the dump as waste.

Attachments

• mikes (1).jpg
    mikes (1).jpg
    987.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Sample No. 2 - This is the most prolific source of gold on Earth. It is Witwatersrand ore from South Africa. Visually, it looks like thousands of other conglomerate deposits all over the world. But certain layers in the conglomerate of South Africa have quite a bit of gold and for nearly a century, South Africa was the world's largest gold producer. The layers rich in gold are very extensive and extend for miles. But there are many rocks that look exactly like this which do not have gold.

Attachments

• IMG_1621 (2).jpg
    IMG_1621 (2).jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The light colored metallic mineral on this rock is Calaverite, a rich telluride of gold and silver. It is from the Cripple Creek district of Colorado, one of the most productive gold districts in the US. Calaverite is easily mistaken for other minerals like Arsenopyrite, that have very little gold in them.

Attachments

• IMG_2029 (3).jpg
    IMG_2029 (3).jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 2
No. 5 is a sample of high grade gold ore from Goldfield, Nevada, a mining district famous for its rich gold ores.

Attachments

• IMG_2696 (5).jpg
    IMG_2696 (5).jpg
    934.8 KB · Views: 2
The No. 6 rock is from the second most productive gold district on earth, the Carlin trend in Nevada. Miners swarmed all over Nevada in the late 1800s, and made many discoveries, but they never found this stuff. Some is quite high in grade, but much is lower grade as well. The old timers never found it because it does not look like ore, and if you crush it, the gold is so tiny you canot see it visually. It can be seen with a powerful microscope and it comes out in a fire assay with no problems. The Carlin trend was discovered in the late 1960s by some geologists looking specifically for this type of ore as smaller amounts had been found elsewhere in Nevada beginning in the 1930s.

Attachments

• IMG_3544 (6).jpg
    IMG_3544 (6).jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 5
No. 7 is molybdenum ore from Nevada. Its nice and sparkly with moly sulfides and looks good, but has no gold or silver.

Attachments

• IMG_1270 (7).jpg
    IMG_1270 (7).jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 1
No. 8 is quartz vein rock with a big clot of pyrite, but it has no gold. Its from California.

Attachments

• quartz_(8).jpg
    quartz_(8).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
No. 9 is a chunk of barren rhyolite from eastern California. No gold here.

Attachments

• specimen (2).jpg
    specimen (2).jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 1
Back