Oxy/Acetylene Torch Restrictions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SilverFox said:
My advice would be use proper Cupels and graphite molds. If you want to disguise your gold leave it as powder. Doesn't get any less gold like then powder. Just don't label your container as "Gold"
Cupels are made for the process of cupellation, and are not considered good for use as melting dishes. There are such items available that have an excellent duty cycle, making them far more desirable for melting.

It is not important that molds be made of graphite, and, in fact, I'd discourage the use of such molds. They are prone to degradation in use, unlike iron molds. The best possible choice of mold materials would be ductile or malleable iron, each of which have excellent shock resistance and do not scale, unlike steel.

Storing gold as powder isn't a great idea. While it may not look like gold to less learned people, if it is dropped, not only will it be highly contaminated, a serious loss will be experienced as well. Gold is best stored as a solid for that reason.

Harold

I have purchased several tanks from AirGas and Industrial welding supply. NO business license required all I must do is sign a hazmat statement that I understand the dangers in transporting the tanks.

If you buy the tanks who cares if you "run off" with them, they are yours.

Praxair will only rent tanks.

My local dealers for welding supplies are very friendly and want the business. I would call Airgas corporate and talk with them about your local problem.

Back