• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale Paliney 7

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmhunter86

I have approximately 2.5oz of paliney 7 wire I'm selling. I will get an exact weight soon. I'm willing to sell or have someone toll refine.

I also have ceramic CPUs that I'm interested in selling if anyone wants them.

Attachments

• 20230817_101413.jpg
    20230817_101413.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 0
Its kinda hard to find a comp on that one: 35Pd, 30Ag, 14Cu, 10Au, 10Pt, 1Zn.
I would have an interest in purchasing it but I’m going to be cheap on it. It is a pain to refine so expect a haircut whatever you do with it.

I would have an interest in purchasing it but I’m going to be cheap on it. It is a pain to refine so expect a haircut whatever you do with it.
I understand it is hard to refine so I'm prepared to get less than if the metals were individual.

With only 1% base metals this alloy should not be that difficult to refine for someone with pgm experience. Or am i missing something?
Besides the copper? The part that makes it a pain is its right in the special zone that everything wants to drag something else along with it.

As much as drag down may (or not) be an issue the real issue is all the different steps you would need to go through to get full separation of all the different metals - with 30 percent silver just for starters you would likey need to start with inquarting - then etc. etc. etc. (sorry on my phone so hard to post details) Kurt

I would like to see if this can be treated in nitric as is... Just from curiosity. It would be slow and you will need to go with more than 35% nitric, but I will say this should lead to some workable solution of Ag+Pd+Cu+Zn+some Pt, and solid AuPt+some undissolved Pd residue. Soilds can be then dissolved in AR or other chloride media and gold dropped in reasonable purity, leaving PGMs behind. Tougher part would be to sharply separate Ag from Pd without trapping Pd in AgCl for example. But this can be done relatively well, despite washing the AgCl can take some time and effort.

At least, you will eliminate gold from the stuff relatively easily. But for us, whom never tried to refine this type of alloy, it could be painful to do. With quantity you have, and time needed to refine this with limited knowledge we do have about these scenarios, I don´t know if the refining route is worth some small gain in better pricing upon selling.

----------
But from practical standpoint and quantity I would consider selling it as is to reputable refinery/buyer. I do not see any difficulty with this kind of material to be sold, all of the PMs have decent concentrations. Do not expect premium prices, but I think you should get a decent spot% for all PMs.

I would definitely keep some few g for myself to play with, from utter curiosity if I can deal with such material efficiently :D If this popped up year or two ago, I would definitely buy several grams :)

I weighed it today and it is 86 grams. I would sell it to a reputable refinery/buyer but have had a hard time finding one of those. I am open to any suggestions the members have on a person/business they suggest as a reputable refinery/buyer.

As much as drag down may (or not) be an issue the real issue is all the different steps you would need to go through to get full separation of all the different metals - with 30 percent silver just for starters you would likey need to start with inquarting - then etc. etc. etc. (sorry on my phone so hard to post details) Kurt.
I would think that conc nitric would pretty much dissolve everything into solution. Anyone who tries to refine this material i hope has a good understanding of platinosis and safety precautions.
Have you considered putting this material on ebay and trying to sell at a premium to spot? Its a very expensive product when it comes to producing it and its a very specialized material. You might do much better than the spot price of the components and certainly will do better than selling to a refiner. I asked a fellow refiner that is not so eccentric as I what he would do if this was sent in and he said “call them and ask if I should throw it away or if they were going to send postage to get it back.”

Last edited:
I believe that Pd is the only PGM that dissolves in Nitric Acid and I seem to recall that even that is not complete. The wire would probably have to be inquarted to get a good separation of the other PGMs from the Silver/Pd and base metals.

I believe that Pd is the only PGM that dissolves in Nitric Acid and I seem to recall that even that is not complete. The wire would probably have to be inquarted to get a good separation of the other PGMs from the Silver/Pd and base metals.
The issue is that if there is Pd/Pt alloy the Pd will drag the Pt with it into solution.
This means the Pt will also dissolve.

I believe that Pd is the only PGM that dissolves in Nitric Acid and I seem to recall that even that is not complete.

Pd will most certainly dissolve in nitric & do so completely - however the nitric is VERY slow to react with the Pd (compared to silver) & requires time & HEAT (when talking about dissolving pure Pd with nitric)

When Pd is alloyed with silver the Pd will react much more readily with the Pd - depending of course on the percentage of Pd to silver --- in other words the nitric will completely dissolve the Pd (& Ag) it is just a question of how readily based on alloy percentages

Also - generally speaking - when pure - nitric will NOT react at all with Pt --- however - when Pt is alloyed with silver some Pt may also dissolve with nitic --- again - how much Pt will dissolve along with the silver depends on the percentage of Pt that is alloyed with the silver

Or as orvi said ------
It would be slow and you will need to go with more than 35% nitric, but I will say this should lead to some workable solution of Ag+Pd+Cu+Zn+some Pt,
Note the bold print of + some Pt being dissolve with the nitric

orvi also said -----
and solid AuPt+some undissolved Pd residue
In other words - with this alloy (as is) HOT nitric will dissolve the silver & Pd along with likely at least some Pt - leaving the gold & some Pt undissolved & possibly a trace of Pd undissolved due to the Au & Pt in the alloy --- however - you should be able to get all the Pd to go into solution if you run the reaction at a simmer/boil & for prolonged time to insure all the Pd dissolves

In other words - as slsmp40 & ovri have pointed out this is a difficult alloy to refine to the pure metals of Ag - Pd - Pt & Au as it will take multiple steps to part each metal as well as likely re-refining of each metal due to drag down after the first parting of each metal

Not an easy refine even for the experienced refiner let alone the beginner &/or hobby refiner

The biggest problem (but not only problem) would be getting ALL the Pd (& possible Pt) washed out of the AgCl - then getting the possible Pt washed out of the precipitated Pd

For what it is worth

Kurt

I weighed it today and it is 86 grams. I would sell it to a reputable refinery/buyer but have had a hard time finding one of those. I am open to any suggestions the members have on a person/business they suggest as a reputable refinery/buyer.

I have sent you a PM (Private Message)

Kurt

I have been out for a bit. Do you still have your material or did you get it to move along?

Back