Palladium and rhodium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles1975

Hi new here so not sure how to go about things here. I need help with extraction of palladium 1.3 percent and rhodium 1.6 percent from a mixture of other elements by dissolving it in nitric or aquaregia, but where to from there?

Charles, welcome to the forum.

I've moved your post to the Help Needed section of the forum. You should get more responses here.

First, rhodium will not dissolve in nitric, and is very resistant to aqua regia.

Tell us more about your material. Is it an ore, ewaste, or some other type of material? The more we know, the more we can help.

Dave

Hi Dave thanks for the reply it is waste from a platinum refinery that closed down a long time ago Green in colour containing copper nickel and other elements,my focus is on pgm for now if I can extract it without setting up a massive plant to finance a future setup

Your percentages for the palladium and rhodium are pretty specific. How were they determined?

I'd like to know more about the "other elements" What are they? What percentages?

Without knowing more, you can probably set up to test on a frugal budget. A nitric acid leach should dissolve the palladium (as long as it's not oxidized). The palladium can be cemented out on copper.

If the other elements are soluble in the nitric, or perhaps a second leach with HCl, the rhodium could remain undissolved.

These won't be pure metals, but might be close enough for your purposes for testing.

Dave

Be very careful messing with PGMs especially if they have been treated already, many of the platinum group metals form highly toxic salts that will build up in your body, look up platinosis, it’s not good to be polite :eek:

Back