Palladium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonka

Does palladium turn out as a reddish color after melting and then absorb moisture from the air, like it’s sweating, and then turn black?

That sounds like copper traces being oxidized, palladium should not turn black after melting? it's a very precious metal. they do not oxidize.
When I had red and black stains in the borax glazed crucible, it was with melting copper or sterling.

That sounds like copper traces being oxidized, palladium should not turn black after melting? it's a very precious metal. they do not oxidize.
When I had red and black stains in the borax glazed crucible, it was with melting copper or sterling.
Copper sweats? It pulled moisture from the atmosphere for like 3 days. Then turned black and became very brittle.

Palladium melts at around 1550C if i'm correct. So 1500 may have been insufficient.
I would alloy with silver as i can't reach such high temperatures.
again, that does not sound like pure palladium, but some contaminants along with it. (which could have lowered the melting temp. of the alloy, like silver does)

Does palladium turn out as a reddish color after melting and then absorb moisture from the air, like it’s sweating, and then turn black?
How did you get this Pd and how was it treated.
One never melts salts, just metal or salts converted to metal!

It was from processors. I cemented out with copper and zinc. I know the zinc burnt off. So there could be some copper left but I wouldn’t pool at 1500c so I’m not sure how much there would be.

It was from processors. I cemented out with copper and zinc. I know the zinc burnt off. So there could be some copper left but I wouldn’t pool at 1500c so I’m not sure how much there would be.
So why do you think you have Pd from processors?
The only thing that could have Pd would be the MLCCs, and those should have been removed first.
Either by HCl, heat or mechanical.

Latest posts

Back