Partial yield showoff of HUGE finger toll

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
denim said:
So Topher, any update on the final yield on this batch?
Dennis

Not yet, i just got done with the dissolving. I went about it slowly but surely. Adding small increments of oxidizer and letting it heat on low. I didnt start using heat for the first couple hours after my first addition, solely because i didnt want to experience a gold-foil-volcano.

It took over 27 hours to dissolve it all. Right now it is settling down after a tiny amount of sulfamic that was added (maybe 4mL of saturated solution) and the sulfuric addition (there was alot of "dirty" finger boards with solder bits. So, lead sulfate is bound to be in there now.
-it will all settle down, filter well, and precipitation videod and posted here tomorrow (afternoon/evening most likely)

cosmetal said:
I was watching you make :shock: "moves" :shock: on your gold foils and my wife overheard your moanings coming from my laptop and she's convinced I'm watching some XXX website :shock: :lol: :shock:!
James

Sorry about that! It took all I had to not start crying after I was done.
...she would have REALLy worried about your watching habits then. :lol:

A little trick here.
Let cleaned stripped finger boards dry thoroughly. Then put some in a bucket and shake well. Like really well. You will be surprised when you see what is on the bottom no matter how well you cleaned them the first time.

patnor1011 said:
A little trick here.
Let cleaned stripped finger boards dry thoroughly. Then put some in a bucket and shake well. Like really well. You will be surprised when you see what is on the bottom no matter how well you cleaned them the first time.

I most certainly will, thank you for that bit of advice!

...kind of saddening now that i went over them with a sieve bucket and my fine tooth comb-fingers, only to find out it was all for nothing but a false sense of accomplishment and a sore back!

I will gladly shake them down again though if it catches any strays

silversaddle1 said:
Since I have about 100 pounds of fingers sitting here, I'm really interested in the final melt here. :G :D :G :D :G :D

Selective leach for the win!

Im very interested in the results too (im sure a lot of people are :) )
But, even if you took your 100lb lot, and split it up into 4, then ran them all, I bet they would all vary quite a bit. Maybe not though.

I think it primarily depends upon how clean cut they are, as any detritus board thats not holding fingers is just dead weight that's not sweetening up the kitty. Im sure the manufacturer, year, use, price of tea in china, and cycle of the moon, etc.. matter a wee bit too, but, Im willing to wager that the cleanliness of the cut is the biggest variable of them all -or the one with the biggest factor in the formula, anyways.

We'll see. I've trimmed 100's and 100's of pounds of fingers so I'm pretty good at getting a nice clean close cut.

Ya got to admit, those are some pretty clean, close cuts! Some are not, but you work with what you have.

Attachments

• goldfinger.jpg
    goldfinger.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 322
silversaddle1 said:
We'll see. I've trimmed 100's and 100's of pounds of fingers so I'm pretty good at getting a nice clean close cut.

Ya got to admit, those are some pretty clean, close cuts! Some are not, but you work with what you have.

Those are very nice indeed! Cant get much closer than that

Sorry its been awhile, been quite busy with stuff and things, and gold.

So, after a brief discussion with the gentleman i am running this toll for, he kindly asked me to keep the yield between the two of us. So, I am sorry to say I lied to you guys and will not be sharing that. I can however, show a picture of a very nice shiny button that I just melted up after much hard work.

I couldnt bare the thought of gouging it, or disfiguring its shape, so i smashed the crucible instead of prying it out or pouring it out into water. It is now having the button separated from the bottom of the crucible with some weak sulfuric.

I will post a clearer picture after its out of the acid.
0407181302~2.jpg

Again, sorry. I should have clarified with him before posting anything regarding the lot. It is completely my fault.

Been waiting for this one. I wish you could post the weight, but I can understand your reason for not doing so. Still it is nice to follow along from start to finish.

By the way, very nice looking button!

Shark said:
Been waiting for this one. I wish you could post the weight, but I can understand your reason for not doing so. Still it is nice to follow along from start to finish.

By the way, very nice looking button!

Yeah, i feel bad for making the assumption I could post,,, leading you all on like, well, I dont know- just leading you all on then having to let you know I am a fool for not asking a simple question firstly,

The precipitation was great though.

I chose to use sodium chlorate to dissolve the gold. It took 24 or 25 hours, then I "denoxxed" for another 5 on low heat (to remove the free chlorine left from the oxidizer)
--after filtration, I added the aqueous smb a pipette at a time. It obviously still had a wee bit of free oxidizer, so I chose to heat it again until morning (a mere 6 hours away at this time). When I woke up, I saw beautiful gold flakes at the bottom of the beaker. It was amazing. I can only assume it was from a very long and slow reduction process.

Anyways, after seeing that, I went about adding pipette after pipette of the precipitant. Eventually it all came down a lovely tan color with shiny flakes mixed in.

I did manage to get one shiny chunky flake out with a pair of tweezers while ai was weighing up the lot before melt. (Pictured)

All in all, it was a great opportunity. I was lucky enough to have the pleasure of working the lot.

I will take the generous advice given earlier and will be rerinsing the fingerboards just to make sure i got every speck of gold I possibly could.

Thank you for your continued investment in this thread, again, sorry I errd by initially miscommunicating with my boss/client/customer.

Attachments

• 0407181132~2.jpg
    0407181132~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 226
  • 0407180305d~2.jpg
    0407180305d~2.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 0407180305~2.jpg
    0407180305~2.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 226
Topher_osAUrus said:
So, after a brief discussion with the gentleman i am running this toll for, he kindly asked me to keep the yield between the two of us. So, I am sorry to say I lied to you guys and will not be sharing that.
Hmm... I just reviewed the thread and I don't see where you ever promised to share the final yield, so I don't think you lied.

I chose to use sodium chlorate to dissolve the gold. It took 24 or 25 hours, then I "denoxxed" for another 5 on low heat
Since you used chlorate instead of nitric, you didn't actually deNOx since there were no NOx compounds. :)

Dave

What are the advantages/disadvantages of sodium chlorate vs SMB

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

After re reading the post I see that sodium chlorate was used to replace nitric acid NOT the SMB

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

No need to tell the exact number on this lot, most of us here know exactly what to expect from fingers.
That gold does look clean though !

silversaddle1 said:
Well I guess my 120 pounds will go on E-Bay then.

Of course it will. Nobody on here is gonna pay you what you want for them to recover gold.

anachronism said:
silversaddle1 said:

Of course it will. Nobody on here is gonna pay you what you want for them to recover gold.

Well that is good business, wouldn't you agree? But I was keeping my options open on maybe toll refining some of this stuff I have around here.

silversaddle1 said:
anachronism said:
silversaddle1 said:

Well that is good business, wouldn't you agree? But I was keeping my options open on maybe toll refining some of this stuff I have around here.

Depends on whether you want the money or the asset...

silversaddle1 said:
anachronism said:
silversaddle1 said:

Inventory is supposed to move, money is supposed to work for you...while you've had that 100 lbs of fingers sitting in boxes, you could have flipped that money multiple times.

Gold isn't moving, and even if it does, refiners fees will change with it.

Even then, E scrap is hardly investment grade material. Further, I don't know any refiners that really WANT to refine fingers. I've done it once, won't even do it again....was offered a bag of them a few weeks ago, told them to sell them on Ebay.

The only reason fingers are popular is because they can be done without nitric very easily.

Back