Ph ajustement problem

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayf

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but , am facing a problem with some type of industrial waste which has the properties of paste , and below ill share an image for the components of this paste , I added water to the ore and tried to rise the PH to 11 but strangely the PH never goes above 9.2 even by adding more and more caustic soda
Any one has an idea on this problem ??
Thank u

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231117-013236.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117-013236.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 0
I dont know if this is the right place to post this but , am facing a problem with some type of industrial waste which has the properties of paste , and below ill share an image for the components of this paste , I added water to the ore and tried to rise the PH to 11 but strangely the PH never goes above 9.2 even by adding more and more caustic soda
Thank u
It probably have a buffer in it.

Na2O + H2O == 2NaOH

There’s similar reactions for the other oxides, so, sure, caustic. A chlorine compound could buffer your additions, dss

Where is the free Chlorine coming from? What compound is lost on ignition? I think a lot of chlorides are acidic, but I’d probably start with dilution of a small sample & see what’s soluble and what’s not. I might heat a very, very small sample on a hotplate under a fume hood or in a boiling flask under a fume hood

I’d also start small and keep notes

... tried to rise the PH to 11 but strangely the PH never goes above 9.2 even by adding more and more caustic soda
Magnesium hydroxide starts to precipitate around a pH of 9, and the pH rise will stop right there because every added hydroxide ion immediately drops out of solution as Mg(OH)₂ precipitate. For me this this has formed a clean white powder on the bottom of the beaker.

Once all the magnesium ions have precipitated, the pH will start rising again. Given the high proportion of magnesium in your material it may take a surprising amount of NaOH to precipitate all the Mg²⁺ ions.

Magnesium hydroxide starts to precipitate around a pH of 9, and the pH rise will stop right there because every added hydroxide ion immediately drops out of solution as Mg(OH)₂ precipitate. For me this this has formed a clean white powder on the bottom of the beaker.

Once all the magnesium ions have precipitated, the pH will start rising again. Given the high proportion of magnesium in your material it may take a surprising amount of NaOH to precipitate all the Mg²⁺ ions.
Exactly , that what happened , few litters took about 1 kg of caustic soda

but the XRF sheet does not mention Au. that's why i asked.
I have about 5000 tons of this paste , This is not an XRF test , its an analytic test for the compounds in the sample i do it to know if there are any resistance in the chemical processes , in egypt we can process hundreds of tons using jinchan

I have about 5000 tons of this paste , This is not an XRF test , its an analytic test for the compounds in the sample i do it to know if there are any resistance in the chemical processes , in egypt we can process hundreds of tons using jinchan
So there still is no gold in the analysis report. Where did you get the 10g/Ton from? but you did an assay, you said. this is the report of that assay?

This analysis is designed for ions or compounds , not designed for metals , the 1kg sample is roasted then smelted and gold collected by lead and silver , lead cupeled and silver dissolved by nitric and gold is weighted (0.01 grams )
So there still is no gold in the analysis report. Where did you get the 10g/Ton from? but you did an assay, you said. this is the report of that assay?

How do you recover the gold in the pregnancy solution (zinc or activated carbon)... I am having a very difficult problem recovering the gold with Jinchan. Tks u!!

Back