pH for cementation

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over 90% of the gold and PGM grains in this deposit and the associated enrichment zones are <60micron, the material responds better to leaching after being dried for 6mths plus... This appears to be due to bacterial activity in the wet ore.
I'm currently running a seeding experiment in an adjacent enrichment zone to grow ore nodules, as well as experiments using carbon to collect metals from transport fluids in the active deposition zones.

The primary ores below the Oxidised zone in this deposit contain PGM's, Gold and Silver Telluride's, Sulfides, Antimony and Bismuth compounds as well as Cobalt.
Learning to process these will be interesting.
This will be an ongoing project and after discussions with an Israeli Geologist has expanded to researching similar occurrences and deposition zones in other areas now too.

Cheers Wal

Ive had to endure swtnack after setback since this virus scare went down. I finally recieved my furnace and some chemicals. I need to secure a rock crusher and ph meter then I should be set to start extracting values.

I have access to several super rich locations and am anxious to begin my own experimentations. Here are some of the ores I will be working with:

Pgm
FB_IMG_1586432816497.jpg
Gold/ pgm/ silver FB_IMG_1586432828845.jpgsilve/ pgm
FB_IMG_1586433054897.jpg silver
20200329_175800.jpgcopper saturated with gold
20200403_171318.jpg

Each ore type will need experimentation to work out the best method of extraction, leach method and times. High Sulfides in an ore will be acid consumers in a leach so this needs to be allowed for.
The Silver sulfide rich ores may be easier to crush, gravity separate and smelt with iron if they contain no Halides. There are methods elsewhere on the forum for the oxidation of sulfides using Hydrogen Peroxide on a lab scale or Sodium Hydroxide on a larger scale for the oxidation of Sulfides.

It looks like you have a lot to play with, I hope it goes well

Cheers Wal

During excavation of the pipe I was initially discarding the light friable soil amongst the interlocked Silver rich surface ore nodules in the first couple of feet. Later I decided to pan it, expecting it to be leached of anything significant.
The result was interesting, it held quantities of tiny PGM grains, native Silver, Gold and Silver Sulfides. Most was too small to gravity separate, easily floating on the surface tension of water.
Magnetic separation collected a large proportion of the PGM's but left some of the Gold, Silver and Sulfides so this material is now being leached too

Cheers Wal

Thanks for keeping this going. I love looking at the various ore types. I'll never find any in my real life, so I live vicariously through you.

Not sure why I thought of this, but, I'll share it because I saw iron rich something ore other (see what i did there? Lol)
Anyways, at an old gold smelters, they would always use iron hooks to scrape slag off the molten gold. The iron eventually became coated in gold, so they needed to reclaim it. They would take their gold laden ladels and use them to stir a silver melt. While gold can mix with iron, silver cannot/will not. It is completely immiscible. So the gold would mix in with the silver, (iron free!) which would then be ran through silver cells to recover the gold via anode slimes. The iron ladels/scrapers would go back to their slag removal duties.

Maybe its just me, but, that is fascinating. Will I ever be able to use that fact? Probably not. Will someone else though? Surely someone. Sometime, somewhere. Might...

Thanks for keeping this going. I love looking at the various ore types. I'll never find any in my real life, so I live vicariously through you.

Not sure why I thought of this, but, I'll share it because I saw iron rich something ore other (see what i did there? Lol)
Anyways, at an old gold smelters, they would always use iron hooks to scrape slag off the molten gold. The iron eventually became coated in gold, so they needed to reclaim it. They would take their gold laden ladels and use them to stir a silver melt. While gold can mix with iron, silver cannot/will not. It is completely immiscible. So the gold would mix in with the silver, (iron free!) which would then be ran through silver cells to recover the gold via anode slimes. The iron ladels/scrapers would go back to their slag removal duties.

Maybe its just me, but, that is fascinating. Will I ever be able to use that fact? Probably not. Will someone else though? Surely someone. Sometime, somewhere. Might...
That's interesting, a combination of Silver and Iron is used by some refiners during smelting tmine concentrates to create two feedstocks before chemical seperation.

Gold is often associated with Iron, especially in enrichment zones formed from the breakdown of Sulfide deposits.. the classic Iron Hat or Cap over a rich deposit is a good example but in some cases what looks like an Iron rich ore or a Gossan can contain very little Iron at all

This button was "smelted" using Silver as a collector on the Jasperoid

Cheers Wal

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_174710_1~2.jpg
    IMG_20211017_174710_1~2.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 4
Looking at those I just wonder what I passed by in my life.
Quite innocent looking rocks.
Thanks for sharing.
No worries, I wish I'd known what I've learned about ores, enrichment zones and bacteria over the last few years a long time ago.
You never really know what's under your feet till you take a closer look

Cheers Wal

No worries, I wish I'd known what I've learned about ores, enrichment zones and bacteria over the last few years a long time ago.
You never really know what's under your feet till you take a closer look

Cheers Wal
I'm not worried, just heartbroken and on the verge of collapse 😪😱🤣

Back