Pile it up, the prices wil come back

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silversaddle1

I've been a full-time metal recycler for 18 years now. This is how I make a living. I do not run a scrap yard, or broker scrap. I'm the guy you see hauling scrap out of the city in a pick-up truck. Well here is my take on the downfall in the steel markets. Wait it out, the prices will come back. And most the time they will be higher than before they fell. I have so many times seen it happen, the prices start to fall, the yards cry about the bottom falling out, people panic sell for lower prices, then a year later, boom!,, the price is sky high! I'm not saying to save all your steel computer cases, but your copper, alum, and such, hold on to it. We are sitting on 155 tons of scrap railroad rail. Market was real strong thru the summer, but had no time to cut it up and haul it in. Well now the price it about 1/4th of what it was three mounths ago. Me worry? Nope! It will be higher next time around, and I will have even more of it then!

also can sell it to people needing it to build things. I collect alot and hate to sell it to scrap yards, giving low prices and shipping it to China when this country will need it. as history has revealed.

butcher said:
also can sell it to people needing it to build things. I collect alot and hate to sell it to scrap yards, giving low prices and shipping it to China when this country will need it. as history has revealed.

Yes, I agree on keeping some stuff. You should see our shop. We have such a good selection on nuts, bolts, screws, and such that the local farmers come over here to get hardware. We scrapped some huge UPS's a year or so ago and saved every nut, bolt and washer that came out of it. We had 4 five gallon buckets of like new hardware just from that one project. Took weeks to sort it all out. Not to mention all the electrical stuff we saved too. To put it in perspective, I just built a 36" by 60" shop. Did all the electrical myself. All in conduit. Did the whole shop and the only thing I had to buy were switches and lights and some wire. Everything else came from salvage jobs. I have been doing this work for 18 years. We specalize in railroad work, but the electronics side is starting to really take off. You would be amazed at the stuff companies will discard. I could tell stories all night that would make you shake your head! But that is for another day.

I have noticed a decrease in the amount of scrap companies are generating lately. Boom times are better for salvage when compnies flush with cash buy new gear.

Sorry silver, it was just too easy not to yank your chain :roll:

I own a very old salvage company I inherited it from my great grandfather. I have seen prices go up and down over the years. The buyers over seas are not buying right now but yes it will pick up. I, myself am stock piling. when the prices come up I will make my money then.

So don't worry about the low prices right now all wil be ok, keep your chin up and keep the metal coming in. :p

Silver you are lucky oz caught that before I did!I would have made fun of that so muchhhhhhh......lol.That was too funny.Everyone have a great weekend,Im starting on those 12 pounds of pins tomorrow,I'll throw some pics on after I get something worthy of showing.
Johnny

Latest posts

Back