Plate cover with gold foil

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonmloehr

Hello I am new here and have only just begun collecting materials and thank you for all the information on this forum. So, when going through some things I in my house, I came across this plastic plate that appears to be covered with gold foil. I was winding what would be the best method for this because of the plastic and other thing like maybe glue that are on it?

Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB
I am not sure of the Gold content of that plate, if it has any. Maybe you can get more of them together and do some testing. Here is a link to a website that sells them: http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/chargerplate/product-detailMeinVbLDZjhp/China-13-Inch-Gold-Round-Charger-Plate-LJP1032-G-.html

Yeah I really wasn't sure either. Thank you for the link though. I'll do some more research and maybe I'll figure out something. Thanks.

Glass or ceramics will have gold plating, but their are also paints that can look like gold, the gold plating is normally very thin, in fact if held up to the sun you can normally see through the gold which will look green with the light filtered through the glass, the gold will dissolve in HCl/NaClO (bleach) leach.

Unless you break the glass ware, it can take a lot of solution to cover the dishes, and there is not that much gold, so it is usually best to save up a large batch of plated glassware before processing it.

Normally it is easy to tell the gold plating from the paint or other gold colored looking objects, once you get familiar with how they look, if unsure a drop or two of the HCl/NaClO (limit chlorine) leach and A Q-tip to dissolve a small spot of gold into the cotton and test with a drop of stannous chloride will prove gold or paint.

Latest posts

Back