Platinum and other PGM metals inside roadside debris?!?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about air filters on cars.

Or perhaps the drain of a car wash place, all the PGM stuck from car to car on the dirt and oil would fall down after wash.

Last edited:
The minuscule loss from converters would be so fine (1000 mesh, or smaller), it would be very difficult to recover via a gravity technique. If you would really like to pursue recovery, I would think you would have the highest concentrations where it may come into contact with oil, as a collector, then settles into a grease trap type P-trap. Here it would float as an oily scum. This could then be skimmed, then assayed. If a car lasted 500,000 miles, and the converter lasted the life of the car, and a converter contained a 1/2 oz. of PGM, it would equal some serious dilution. If anybody ever tests, and finds the right conditions mentioned above, hitting the motherlode, don't forget about the Goldshark's sound advice. You can PM me for check mailing address.

Hello i only just now found this thread. I dont visit too often these days...

I've given this a great deal of thought myself CodysLab YouTube channel did a short little video on the subject. They just went to like the shoulder on a interstate overpass or something and swept about a half a bucket full of dust off the road. It did test positive for pgms. Honestly the main reason this interests me is I own about 4 acres adjacent/alongside interstate 70 in Ohio. State DOT gives an average daily total for cars and trucks at 25k plus. I'm assuming that includes both directions so conservatively say 13,000 vehicles go by right along the side of my property everyday 4 acres it's not a huge amount of land but it's enough and you look at the average life expectancy of the material in a catalytic converter how many miles it typically lasts and figure out you know how many cars have been driving by the last 40 to 50 years or so they've been using such technology... That leaves a lot of pgms that could have washed off the road right onto my property I just happen to be downhill from the interstate so the weather will naturally wash the dust in particles off the road right onto my property there is some drainage ditches that have formed over the years up along that area it is very soggy kind of almost swamp like in a few spots but there's an extra interesting fact about that particular spot there is a lot of oil coming up out of the ground. It's not motor oil... It's nasty sulfur smelling shit. I'll be honest I planned on before the weather gets too cold and the ground gets hard, on digging a few test buckets at a couple of different spots. The only thing that I really have a concern over is the size of the particles they're going to be probably really really tiny and I am not entirely sure how well gravity separation is going to work from everything else for that matter I really don't know how they could possibly be separated from everything else being that small. but I'm going to try it anyway. Might look in to see if they have a chelating agent that will work with the target metals that might help in sorting them out from everything else. Might even end up making a YouTube video or something out of it. You end up going down the same road so to speak good luck to ya if ya wanna keep in touch about the su ject drop me a message on here ill send ya my email addy

Hello i only just now found this thread. I dont visit too often these days...

I've given this a great deal of thought myself CodysLab YouTube channel did a short little video on the subject. They just went to like the shoulder on a interstate overpass or something and swept about a half a bucket full of dust off the road. It did test positive for pgms. Honestly the main reason this interests me is I own about 4 acres adjacent/alongside interstate 70 in Ohio. State DOT gives an average daily total for cars and trucks at 25k plus. I'm assuming that includes both directions so conservatively say 13,000 vehicles go by right along the side of my property everyday 4 acres it's not a huge amount of land but it's enough and you look at the average life expectancy of the material in a catalytic converter how many miles it typically lasts and figure out you know how many cars have been driving by the last 40 to 50 years or so they've been using such technology... That leaves a lot of pgms that could have washed off the road right onto my property I just happen to be downhill from the interstate so the weather will naturally wash the dust in particles off the road right onto my property there is some drainage ditches that have formed over the years up along that area it is very soggy kind of almost swamp like in a few spots but there's an extra interesting fact about that particular spot there is a lot of oil coming up out of the ground. It's not motor oil... It's nasty sulfur smelling shit. I'll be honest I planned on before the weather gets too cold and the ground gets hard, on digging a few test buckets at a couple of different spots. The only thing that I really have a concern over is the size of the particles they're going to be probably really really tiny and I am not entirely sure how well gravity separation is going to work from everything else for that matter I really don't know how they could possibly be separated from everything else being that small. but I'm going to try it anyway. Might look in to see if they have a chelating agent that will work with the target metals that might help in sorting them out from everything else. Might even end up making a YouTube video or something out of it. You end up going down the same road so to speak good luck to ya if ya wanna keep in touch about the su ject drop me a message on here ill send ya my email addy

Look into froth floatation. It takes the metals and valuables up in the froth and leaves clay and stones on the bottom. This is a very rough explanation.
The particles are nanoparticles aluminum with the PGM's attached to them. Read the article I attached in this thread. Some very interesting numbers.

There's 2 ways to make money from roadside PGM's .....

(1) ..... scrounge around for half a day panning roadside dirt for 25 to 50 cents worth of PGM concetrates.

(2) ..... build up a youtube channel with lots of subscribers ... do a video about getting PGM's from the side of the highway that gets 5.2 million views ... earn over $10K in ad revenue from the video.

Do you understand where the easy money is now?

Back