Platinum gold ore

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nountaineer

I hope that others/new readers will be willing to assist with processing this ore from this forum.I will see if this forum contains someone who will help me so I can get started with actual ore processing in my back yard.

I hope that others/new readers will be willing to assist with processing this ore from this forum.I will see if this forum contains someone who will help me so I can get started with actual ore processing in my back yard.
There might be someone, but they will probably need proof first.
And I suspect your XRFs won't be good enough for them.
It would not be for me at least.
So once more I advice you to get a proper assay.

This post belongs with your other posts.

What does the assay say? An ICP-AES assay will identify all elements in a properly prepared sample. The various elements in the form of both simple and complex minerals determine any necessary pretreatment of ores, if necessary. Such pretreatments help avoid complexities in refining and many potentially hazardous situations. Some fatal.

All XRF devices are useless for this purpose. Nearly every XRF device not loaded with the proper library will identify arsenic as iridium, rhodium, or another platinum group metal. That can be fun for any survivors. Supplemental oxygen the rest of their lives, at least until a lung transplant. The lucky one die.

XRF devices also tend to ignore lighter elements, which can cause problems in recovery of values.

There might be someone, but they will probably need proof first.
And I suspect your XRFs won't be good enough for them.
It would not be for me at least.
So once more I advice you to get a proper assay.

This post belongs with your other posts.
Do you mean an NIS assay? That will happen once I get a truck and trailer. I have had a couple good suggestions here concerning alternative methods for extraction but I am fully vested in smelting now so this is what I now need help with such as a better flux recipe and a procedure for getting my furnace hotter. I told the Administrator that I will support this forum when I am actually assisted successfully to convert my ore to cash! This has not happened! I am now looking for a more experienced group to support! I am not getting the needed assistance there!

Do you mean an NIS assay? That will happen once I get a truck and trailer. I have had a couple good suggestions here concerning alternative methods for extraction but I am fully vested in smelting now so this is what I now need help with such as a better flux recipe and a procedure for getting my furnace hotter. I told the Administrator that I will support this forum when I am actually assisted successfully to convert my ore to cash! This has not happened! I am now looking for a more experienced group to support! I am not getting the needed assistance there!
Do you mean here? I've been looking for platinum group metals in bornite on the net no luck. Maybe you have a rare mineral good luck.

We can assist you and give you the answers to what you ask.
We can't guarantee you like the answers.
A truck, fuel, driver and so will cost way more than a NiS assay.
Your call mate.

You are getting very good assistance here. The problem is either you are not communicating what you are doing, on the level the people here are knowledgable about, or you do not want to listen. Or you are plumb crazy. The advice posted here is very sound. Everybody says get the proper assay, yet you refuse to do that. This means you are basing a considerable amount of time and money, on some B.S. "feeling" that you are going to strike it rich. This is called " Gold Fever ". I have felt the same feelings as you, so know where you are coming from. I have learned to be methodical in my mining, prospecting, milling, and refining methods, as well as all of the moderators. I have lost a considerable amount of money, doing what you are doing now. You are trying to re invent the wheel. Please listen.

Using bottled oxygen will give you all you can get out of your furnace.

We can assist you and give you the answers to what you ask.
We can't guarantee you like the answers.
A truck, fuel, driver and so will cost way more than a NiS assay.
Your call mate.
If you were paying attention then you would have known my situation by now. Your comment did not apply to what I am trying to do.

Using bottled oxygen will give you all you can get out of your furnace.
Thank you. I have gotten suggestions for smaller sized furnaces using oxy acetylene, charcoal and a blow dryer or heat gun for 3500 degrees so I may continue to try to find tune my new 10kg propane furnace which is supposed to get to around 2460 and will do better when preheating the propane. I was told that by preheating the propane, say maybe 300 degrees then the furnace will be 300 degrees hotter. Has anyone experienced this practice of fine tuning a propane furnace?

Thank you. I have gotten suggestions for smaller sized furnaces using oxy acetylene, charcoal and a blow dryer or heat gun for 3500 degrees so I may continue to try to find tune my new 10kg propane furnace which is supposed to get to around 2460 and will do better when preheating the propane. I was told that by preheating the propane, say maybe 300 degrees then the furnace will be 300 degrees hotter. Has anyone experienced this practice of fine tuning a propane furnace?

Never heard of that. The problems occur when you let pressure off too quick. The tank will freeze, same concept as refrigeration. You can put a couple tanks together on one line and reduce the volume by half. I've had tanks grow frost and lose pressure while melting ice or torching down modified bitumen roofing. If you put the flame on the bottle to thaw it out, you have to be careful not to activate the pop off valve or you'll have more fire that you want

If you use Coal, get some Anthracite Coal. It has been the staple fuel of the steel industry for 150 years. Other grades may get close, but the Anthracite will give a longer burn time, in addition to the added heat.

All you need to do is introduce oxygen to your propane burner/flame - you can do that using a good old regular air compressor - it only takes between 3 - 7 PSI output from the compressor to provide the oxygen to the propane burner/flame to bring the needed temp in the furnace

Or the burner can be made so that it is "self aspirating" (able to adjust air intake without need for other air source such as compressor, blower or oxygen tank etc.)

I need to head out the door for a doctors appointment right now so will provide pics of what I am talking about later

Kurt

I hope that others/new readers will be willing to assist with processing this ore from this forum. I will see if this forum contains someone who will help me so I can get started with actual ore processing in my back yard.
Per the bold print - Have you read what I have posted in your other thread ----------

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/old-prospector-makes-good.32362/page-4#post-344051
I am that person trying to help you

I have done A LOT of smelting - it was a BIG part of my recovery/refining operation (made a living doing it - not just a hobby)

I have 2 furnaces - 1 thats takes a #4 crucible (for melting) & one that takes a #40 crucible (for smelting)

Kurt

If you use Coal, get some Anthracite Coal. It has been the staple fuel of the steel industry for 150 years. Other grades may get close, but the Anthracite will give a longer burn time, in addition to the added heat.
If you have osage orange (aka. bodock) around your parts you can use that also. It is said to burn as hot as coal. I've had 1 log crack one of my cast iron roasting skillets (100 bucks down the drain)....

Thank you. I have gotten suggestions for smaller sized furnaces using oxy acetylene, charcoal and a blow dryer or heat gun for 3500 degrees so I may continue to try to find tune my new 10kg propane furnace which is supposed to get to around 2460 and will do better when preheating the propane.
What makes you think that you need to get your furnace up 3500 degrees ?

Edit to add; - you only heed your furnace to get to 2300 --- 2500 MAX (& that is boarder line to hot)

I was told that by preheating the propane, say maybe 300 degrees then the furnace will be 300 degrees hotter. Has anyone experienced this practice of fine tuning a propane furnace?
:eek::eek::eek: REALLY ??? --- I don't know who gave you that advice but it sounds to me like a good way to blow yourself up !!!

There are BETTER ways to get MORE heat out of your furnace !!!!!!!!!!

Kurt

Last edited:
There is still only 21% O2 in compressed air.

And that is all that is needed for smelting (his ore) --- getting the furnace to hot can cause problems with the smelt

He only needs to get hot enough to melt copper - NOT IRON - the copper - once molten acts as a solvent for higher temp metal (PGMs) thereby allowing collection of (& alloy with) those metals (Pt/Pd/Rh)

He only needs to get to 2200/2300 - 2500 MAX

A blow - an air compressor or a self aspirating burner is all that is needed to get to those temps

Kurt

Back