Please help me with accurate information about these please. Thanks.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amgdrw4eva

Hi I am new to this and am looking for any opinions on these. Thank you.
Ashley.

Attachments

• IMG_20230804_034705.jpg
    IMG_20230804_034705.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230804_155145.jpg
    IMG_20230804_155145.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230804_154927.jpg
    IMG_20230804_154927.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230804_155029.jpg
    IMG_20230804_155029.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230804_034500.jpg
    IMG_20230804_034500.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230804_034608.jpg
    IMG_20230804_034608.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230804_154807.jpg
    IMG_20230804_154807.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
If there's no visible gold or crushing it and panning it shows no gold you should have a assay done if it is ore from a known precious metal producing area, if not it could be a waste of money however looking at it is not a way to determine whether it has any value metals unfortunately.
There's plenty of rocks that looks like normal rocks but hold massive amount of gold and then there's rocks that look great but hold zero precious metals.
Good luck !!!!

If there's no visible gold or crushing it and panning it shows no gold you should have a assay done if it is ore from a known precious metal producing area, if not it could be a waste of money however looking at it is not a way to determine whether it has any value metals unfortunately.
There's plenty of rocks that looks like normal rocks but hold massive amount of gold and then there's rocks that look great but hold zero precious metals.
Good luck !!!!
Okay and thank you for your help with this. I actually got the rocks from the Hercules gold mine. It hasn't been operational since like the 1800's but my family owns the property.

Hi Ashley and welcome! Your rocks have some colors that could indicate gold but can also be nothing of value. The easiest test would be to follow golddigger's advice.....crush some of the rocks to a fine powder (somewhere between sugar and flour) and pan it. Many rocks will have minerals of different densities and gold and silver are very heavy. If you have any, it generally stays in the pan. If this doesn't produce visible gold, collect the heavy material in the pan and send it out for assay where they will determine the gold and silver concentrations.

If it already came from a known Gold mine, I would say the chances of it having Gold are very good. It could be waste rock, removed during dead work. If your family owns the mine, perhaps you should learn how to assay, if it interests you. Your family will save a ton of money on analysis. If there is a bunch of rock separated from the dumps in a pile, it could be stockpiled ore, and should definitely be assayed. Sampling should be taken on a random basis, and not just promising pieces selected. Fire assaying will give a more accurate amount, should it be present, as crushing and panning can give deceptive results, but is a good method for at least seeing if visible Gold is present.

If it already came from a known Gold mine, I would say the chances of it having Gold are very good. It could be waste rock, removed during dead work. If your family owns the mine, perhaps you should learn how to assay, if it interests you. Your family will save a ton of money on analysis. If there is a bunch of rock separated from the dumps in a pile, it could be stockpiled ore, and should definitely be assayed. Sampling should be taken on a random basis, and not just promising pieces selected. Fire assaying will give a more accurate amount, should it be present, as crushing and panning can give deceptive results, but is a good method for at least seeing if visible Gold is present.
OK and thanks for your input.

A simple crusher can be made by welding a pipe to a plate and smash the rocks with a hardened steel rod inside.
You will have to split them small enough to fit the crush pipe obviously.
I use a 1 inch pipe with a round hardened steel wedge jammed in the end as a hammer rod. Final grind with a mortar and pestle. Sift the fine powder out and regrind the coarser gravel.
It works fine for sampling individual rocks.
Pan with a bit of dish soap.
20230805_212501_mfnr.jpg

Oh wow. OK. Thanks a lot
Instead of welding a so called "Dolly Pot", you look for a company doing service on fire extinguishers. Normally, they have a lot old, emptied extinguishers waiting for the scrapyard.
If you visit them and ask, they'll give you one for free. There are two common types: iron and aluminum. Take an iron type and medium size (1-2 gallons) with a wide opening.
No tube and no welding required.

Instead of welding a so called "Dolly Pot", you look for a company doing service on fire extinguishers. Normally, they have a lot old, emptied extinguishers waiting for the scrapyard.
If you visit them and ask, they'll give you one for free. There are two common types: iron and aluminum. Take an iron type and medium size (1-2 gallons) with a wide opening.
No tube and no welding required.
Wow that's awesome. Thank you for the advice. I will definitely check it out

A simple crusher can be made by welding a pipe to a plate and smash the rocks with a hardened steel rod inside.
You will have to split them small enough to fit the crush pipe obviously.
I use a 1 inch pipe with a round hardened steel wedge jammed in the end as a hammer rod. Final grind with a mortar and pestle. Sift the fine powder out and regrind the coarser gravel.
It works fine for sampling individual rocks.
Pan with a bit of dish soap.
View attachment 58355
Thank you for your help and why dish soap? If you don't mind me asking.

Back