Please help part 1

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi. thanks for the info so far that i have been reading so far. Here is the question. Everytime i take my auric cloride and drop my smb in nothing ever happens. I am using stump out brand. please help

Sounds like you are not using SMB.

Check the manufacturers MSDS to be sure you have the right stuff.

If you have the right stuff (Sodium Meta Bisulfite), then make sure the solution contains gold using stannous chloride.

If the solution is saturated with chlorine the gold may redissolve.

Steve

this is supposed to be 99.5% in the bonide-stump out brand. . How do you get your smb or make it ...
and thanks

Hi, Your problem is not the Stump-out. I have been using Bonide Stump-Out for 6 months with no problems, the MSDS states it is 99.5% Sodium Meta Bisulfite.

Dale

The best results that happen for me are to mix the powder with warm distilled water (tap water my contain some chlorine that will have a small adverse affect on the smb solution).

I let the auric chloride sit for a day or two to let some of the chlorine gas to escape then double the solution with water for the smb to work its way through more efficiently.

Add the smb solution and stir, stir, stir. One way to know the smb is working is that you will get a bad smell that you will almost "taste" and you will see the color change of the yellow to the clear/dirty brown.

What was your steps getting to the auric chloride? Maybe the problem goes back a little further.

Back