popping during incineration

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

core

Hey guys,

I have a question for you.

During incineration to red hot in a stainless steel pan I occasionally get a popping molecule that shoots up out of the pan like a firework.

I have been using household ammonia as a wash procedure in between HCL washes.

I am working with ore concentrates.

This ever happen to anyone else?

I suspect either an ammonia complex or mercury. Any ideas?

THANKS

Is there anything in it, that could have formed NH4NO3? Or is it silver ore, so there could have been formed an instable silver compound?

It can even be caused from moisture or acidic gases from the ore which are trying to escape from the ore or other material which can make the these small explosions, as the pebble pops apart sending small rock shards flying out of the pot, fine grinding, and bringing up heat gradually can help some, keeping a cover over the pot can also help to keep it from possibly throwing out values.

Years ago on a camping trip I learned to never throw rocks into the campfire. It turned out that the rocks were geodes. The moisture inside made a pretty decent explosion of steam and hot rock.

Derek.

When i was a kid we had a concrete storm drainage ditch in our neighborhood. We camped out in it one summer when it was hot and dry. We built a campfire and all was good for about the first hour. Then all the sudden their was this big pop! and concrete was flying everywhere. It blew a good size chunk right out of it. I learned that lesson quick. :shock:

Latest posts

Back