• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale (Possibly) Powdered platinum palladium and gold for sale

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nountaineer

I discovered a labor intensive Way to separate the powdered metal from the placer and am adding it to my smelt as a collector metal since all are already present. A placer deposit upstream sent additional gold to the 30 ton and smaller group of boulders. I am adding gold as the collector and increasing the other metals. I can now start selling powdered metal. I will send an administrator 100 grams to analyze for content and you keep the metal.NITRO_8_07032023_080423.jpg

It does not look like metal, but I never seen it personally, so I do not say more. Without any data upon PMs percentages, you will probably have hard time to sell it here. I would personally smelt it to the dore/button and get it at least analysed with good XRF machine to prove yourself. XRF on PM mode of METALLIC button is perfectly OK. Then, it begin to take some traction - as we are used to inflated stories about PGM deposits and other miracle stuff presented here on GRF weekly, take my scepticism with a grain of salt :)

PS: slag can many times look exactly like a metal, with the difference that it simply isn´t. But it is easily recognized, many times even by feeling the weight, or panning crushed stuff. If there are any PGMs to be found, residue (even 90+% base metals) would be far more heavier as the rest of the stuff. Thing is alloys produced can be many times very similarly brittle than the slag alone (most of the times vastly exaggerated, but point is there), so by simply smacking it with hammer, it can be hard to tell the difference if you are not familiar with it.

It does not look like metal, but I never seen it personally, so I do not say more. Without any data upon PMs percentages, you will probably have hard time to sell it here. I would personally smelt it to the dore/button and get it at least analysed with good XRF machine to prove yourself. XRF on PM mode of METALLIC button is perfectly OK. Then, it begin to take some traction - as we are used to inflated stories about PGM deposits and other miracle stuff presented here on GRF weekly, take my scepticism with a grain of salt :)

PS: slag can many times look exactly like a metal, with the difference that it simply isn´t. But it is easily recognized, many times even by feeling the weight, or panning crushed stuff. If there are any PGMs to be found, residue (even 90+% base metals) would be far more heavier as the rest of the stuff. Thing is alloys produced can be many times very similarly brittle than the slag alone (most of the times vastly exaggerated, but point is there), so by simply smacking it with hammer, it can be hard to tell the difference if you are not familiar with it.
I have had 10 variations tested with x-ray spectroscopy by a scrap pm middle man in Tucson who also does fire assay. The gold is constant at .03 percent or 9.37 oz/ton and the platinum is the same amount with the next grade up at 18.74 oz/ton or .06 percent platinum.

I have had 10 variations tested with x-ray spectroscopy by a scrap pm middle man in Tucson who also does fire assay. The gold is constant at .03 percent or 9.37 oz/ton and the platinum is the same amount with the next grade up at 18.74 oz/ton or .06 percent platinum.
I would like to see the XRF what reliably measures 0,03% of gold in metallic alloy without serious doubts these are just artifacts. What is the main matrix composition ? That can also tell a lot

I have finished the metal pulled with my 15 pound mortar and pestle and it flattens just like metal. I have seen the slag form balls that look like it could be metal so I have considered these things. I do appreciate the time taken to reply and attempt to instruct me on these things. I did indeed appreciate the effort that others have made also especially our friend from Alaska.

I would like to see the XRF what reliably measures 0,03% of gold in metallic alloy without serious doubts these are just artifacts. What is the main matrix composition ? That can also tell a lot
This is black jarosite platinum ore containing cadmium, high iron content as expected with only a trace of silver and the gold is not visible therefore was not seriously considered by the early gold prospectors.

You know, it's kind of odious to say "I'll send 100 g of powder" to an admin to test so that you can shift responsibility on the contents of the stuff you want to sell onto a third party. Doesn't say anything about paying for it. Just keep the metal. OK. I just read that and I'm honestly quite annoyed by it.

News flash @Nountaineer ---the assayer always keeps the metal. Laws of the USA! Sample is the assayer's property.

I am obviously new to all of this but my calculations indicate that the powdered platinum palladium and gold at 100 grams would possibly net a few thousand dollars. I am about to smelt it and will let you know what the results are. I will have it x-ray spectroscopy tested first. It costs me about $10 per sample. Is two or three thousand too little for anyone to receive for testing it? It appears that my offer was too low at 100 grams so I will boost my offer to around 150 grams or that which will fit in a 2 ounce jar which should be at least that much.

Last edited:
It does now appear to be the lower melting point metals while leaving the platinum in the lower half of the crucible. I am firing today at a higher temperature, 2461.
I need to update this. I was wrong about the build up in the crucible. It is actually erosion. While cleaning it up I put a hole in it. The ugly PGM is likely the normal smelted metals combined in my combined ore with added powdered metal. Hopefully the additional calcium fluoride will finally provide a normal smelt.

I need to update this. I was wrong about the build up in the crucible. It is actually erosion. While cleaning it up I put a hole in it. The ugly PGM is likely the normal smelted metals combined in my combined ore with added powdered metal. Hopefully the additional calcium fluoride will finally provide a normal smelt.
Success! I have my first button from the powdered platinum palladium and gold which was represented by 90 percent of the charge and the other 10 percent was a rich concentration with visible metal. I will have the button tested. I will smelt with the added ugly PGM metal next which weighs about 2 ounces.

I discovered a labor intensive Way to separate the powdered metal from the placer and am adding it to my smelt as a collector metal since all are already present. A placer deposit upstream sent additional gold to the 30 ton and smaller group of boulders. I am adding gold as the collector and increasing the other metals. I can now start selling powdered metal. I will send an administrator 100 grams to analyze for content and you keep the metal.View attachment 57713
I am about to smelt a 💯 percentage charge of this powdered metal and have it tested along with a high percentage black platinum crystals charge to help finalize my survey of the ore in this deposit. The smelt mistakes were melted in an induction furnace and tested. Despite gallons of magnetics removed, it contained too much iron. The 3 primary metals in the 7.5 ounce button are iron, platinum and gold, no other PGM in significant amounts in my original smelting. I am only working on a small portion of this deposit. All good things will come in good time.

I am about to smelt a 💯 percentage charge of this powdered metal and have it tested along with a high percentage black platinum crystals charge to help finalize my survey of the ore in this deposit. The smelt mistakes were melted in an induction furnace and tested. Despite gallons of magnetics removed, it contained too much iron. The 3 primary metals in the 7.5 ounce button are iron, platinum and gold, no other PGM in significant amounts in my original smelting. I am only working on a small portion of this deposit. All good things will come in good time.

IMG_20230901_143830.jpg

Back