Precious Metal Refining Services ( PMRS )

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent __ lbs of material very similar to that which I have had processed for the last 18 months or so. I was attempting to find a refinery which could process faster and that paid a bit higher than my previous business arrangement. PMRS was quick to offer no assay fees, free shipping and a payout 4% higher than I had dealt with in the past. I agreed to the terms and sent the lot.

The first issue I had was in regards to a small amount of karat gold sent. Included in the shipment was just over 3 ounces of karat scrap. The karat was almost all unmarked. Each piece had been examined, cut and acid tested. I received a call informing me that it was determined the karat scrap sent was "not gold" but rather thick plated material. My account manager informed me the copper content was too high, a sign it was not solid. He offered to send it back, but since I wanted it processed and to get paid for it, I indicated for them to add it to the rest of the lot.

I have had one lot a month processed by a single refiner during the previous six months, each coming in with little variance (3-6%). The lot sent to PMRS was of the same quality as these previous five lots, but came out significantly lower, 15-25% when accounting for the 3 ounces of karat present in the lot.

My sales agent was less than helpful, not returning my calls (granted he was out sick for some part of that time). I heard from another agent who was apologetic, but could offer me no insight. He indicated he would have the refining manager call. That was 4 days ago and I have still heard no word.

Not pleased, and I would not recommend.

Could you have made a mistake in testing, you did state some of the material was unmarked.

It seems they would send back material that was not karat if you had indicated you wanted it back.

Unless you melted the lot into a bar mixed it well in the melt, and had drilled an had assay of the bar how do you know what you sent them for sure.

I can understand how you may feel you have lost money in this transaction, but I could not judge the company from the details you have stated here, it sounds like too much room for error for me to make that judgement.

With a 10% spread in your own expectations you would be a difficult customer to please no mater what the outcome.

Put yourself in their shoes. You find a problem and report it, then offer to return the questionable items and are told to run it anyway. Essentially destroying the evidence of the negative findings.

You should have had the bad material returned to you (as offered), you could have seen what they saw and learned something from it. The transaction as described leads me to believe they did what they were asked to. They did their part.

I have found that to be a problem with customers in the past also. Now when i find an item i notify the customer just like they did and ask them what to do. I recommend i return the item to them so they can learn from it or resell it to realize a better profit margin. If they say run it, then i run it. At that point it's anybodies guess. Then again i do have a philosophy that i live by and i make all my customers aware of also: " What comes out the beaker...... comes out the beaker " In other words either it's there or it isn't. If I've done my job correctly all the calculating in the world doesn't matter. The reality of it is that it's either there or not.

It's a real problem in this business, expectation versus reality. We are all guilty of it especially when we have unknown materials and even when we refine it ourselves, rarely does the result exceed our expectations but with experience we tend to lower those expectations. It's very easy to blame others for bad results and I know some refiners do cheat given half a chance but with an up and coming business and a first transaction it would seem utter folly to try and rip off bbitt deliberately and in fairness to PMR they did say they found dubious items in the karat scrap and offered to return it rather than just blaming that for the result later, standard trick to smooth over their return. Another point to consider is whether we are talking dollars or gold in the variance, the metal prices are sliding downwards at present.

I used them ONCE. Known sets of sterling at 62+ ounces.. came back as 56... yet my gold weight came back as 96% of my weight.. funny, I use the same scale they use. Now if thats the case.. just in weight.. how did my silver come back after assay at just 12 ounces?

They claim they use photographs, but wont provide them, they claim they use assay but wont provide it... only "hey by the way, over the phone or non company letterhead receipts or analysis".

Stay away from them!!!!!!!! FRAUD ALL OVER IT

I have sent many batches of PT to PMRS. I have never sent more than 6 ounces, all batches assyed from 85-92% per their testing. I know that I have sent in less than pristine batches (85%) and some that I thought were very clean (92%). I can't seem to get the iridium out which is a shame since they don't pay for it on the batch sizes I have sent thus far.

I will be sending in a gold batch soon.

I will continue to be a customer. I am happy with their business practices to date. I always recieve a check quickly.......their communication is not the greatest but they are fair and fast. Maybe if I saved up and sent larger batches things would be different communication wise. Not a problem for me though. If I want to chat I can always come here.

For anyone that's not happy with a certain refiner or has distrust in refineries in general... maybe it's time to learn how to do it yourself and you will know exactly what you have before selling. Just sayin.

I have used their services. They are a bunch of thieves. If you hand them something without documenting it, they will suck it up for you. I gave them a tapestry that was made by a reputable tapestry maker of yesteryear , marked 24k with abundance of gold. It weighed 823 grams as per their measurement off of which I figured it should yield like 4 to 5 ounces of pure gold. They took like 5 weeks as oppose to 2 weeks max as they suggested , and finally told me that it had 0.002 ounces of gold. I don't know how to post images but I have images of this to share but do not know how to add them on here . These guys have even stolen their name from another outfit which is also called PMRS so I have no idea about the other , only this one in Barrington . I figure some of the clowns that have posted on here are in fact part of this fraudulent institution. Bottom line, stay away from these freaks and save yourself a bunch of headaches.

Back