Precipitating palladium help needed

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of using O2, I use Ozone. it also works on Catalytic ceramics
Hi - new person here. May I ask how you exploit ozone for platinum or palladium recovery? I have used a small ozone chamber to annhilate epoxy encapsulates in order to investigate electronic devices, and saw how it annihilates organics. But how might it help in separating metal catalysts from ceramic matrix? Once I simply crushed up a cat and recovered the platinum plated ni-chro mesh. But I think now the platinum is vapour deposited onto ceramic. I thought platinum was utterly resistant to ozone, so if that is true then I can’t see how ozone is useful. Just trying to learn.

You did not add enough zinc

In order for the cementation process to work the "free acid" that is capable of dissolving metal needs to be used up before the metal higher on the reactive series of metals can do it's job of cementing out the metal(s) lower on the reactive series of metals

Cementation is a redox reaction wherein metals higher on the reactive series of metals are oxidized (dissolved) thereby allowing the metals lower on the reactive series of metals to be reduced

But - that redox (or ion exchange) will not take place until the "free acid" - capable of oxidizing (dissolving) the lower reactive metal is "loaded" with those lower reactive metal ions

here is the reactive series of metals ------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactivity_series

Kurt
Wouldn't Hg be more selective than Cu?

Back