Precipitating Pd With Calcium Hypochlorite

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaun

I have taken some pictures of my precipitation of Pd with Calcium Hypochlorite (Pool chlorine granules). Here’s what I did:

I dissolved some Pd pins and contact points from telkom scrap in nitric. The solution turned red-brown to almost black, evaporated to syrup, add HCL, repeated 3 times till no more brown fumes. With the final syrup I added HCL till 1L, no water, so it was very concentrated.

I then added 30g ammonium chloride and the solution turned brick orange. I heated to below boiling and added the Calcium Hypochlorite (small amounts at a time lots of stirring). As you can see in the picture, the red powder floats on top like a thick milkshake and some sink to the bottom.

I then filtered the solution and was left with a clear light green solution (see pictures). I tested with stannous and it turned clear and later a faint grey, no Pd!! (I tested before I started the precipitation and it was positive, orange then tuned green).

I then took some of the red powder and reduced to metallic form by cementation, adding 50% HCL and 50% water, and adding an iron nail. Hoke states it her book- page 160. I left it for a few hours, stirring occasionally. The solution turned clear with a grey precipitate, mine turned to Pd flakes (see pictures) I washed it with HCL and lots of water.

The final picture shows some of the Pd (flakes) I have reduced from the red powder, in nitric acid (just to test if it is Pd) Note the orange brown colour Pd makes in nitric.

I’m going to melt it and send it for assay. I’ll let you know what the results are.

I hope you can follow the pictures to the writing, I am writing this before posting the pictures. PS: English is my second language, so it took a long time to write this. :oops: :lol:

Attachments

• Pd in Nitric.JPG
    Pd in Nitric.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 291
  • after-clear.JPG
    after-clear.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 291
  • Filtration.JPG
    Filtration.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 291
Jaun,

I congratulate you on your english! I don't think I would have known if you hadn't told us.

Interesting process. I would love to see the pics you speak of.

Thx Scott

Here are the other pictures.

Attachments

• Calcium Hypochlorite.JPG
    Calcium Hypochlorite.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 288
  • Evaporaring.JPG
    Evaporaring.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 288
Thanks Steve, the pins are from old IBM mainframe computers (very old) I bought from a mine auction a while back. Unfortunately I don’t have some of the original motherboards with the pins in left. The picture show 2 of the slot cards with the pins I pulled. It was 800g of pins. Those are the pins after I leached out the Pd with nitric. The pins did not dissolve (they are magnetic – stainless or something plated with Pd)

I’ll weigh the red powder, reduced powder and Pd bead when melted and post the results, plus the assay results.

Sorry about the picture quality.

Attachments

• Pd Pins.jpg
    Pd Pins.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 227

Latest posts

Back