Pregnant Cyanide Solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotgoldfever

What is the best way to recover gold from a pregnant cyanide solution? To use an absorbtion column with activated charcoal or resin? Or would it be better to use some sort of precipitant? If a precipitant would be better then which one?
Thanks!

Heres so good info in this thread.

If they do contain cyanide, it is better to leave them to someone who knows what they are doing. You can cement out the values with zinc, but you're still left with the problem of the cyanide. There are many ways to handle it, but I would strongly advise against it without your having some laboratory equipment and a fume hood. It's also convenient if you know whether or not you can actually smell cyanide--some individuals can't, and I would not recommend them working with it.

Lou :arrow: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2163

gotgoldfever said:
What is the best way to recover gold from a pregnant cyanide solution? To use an absorbtion column with activated charcoal or resin? Or would it be better to use some sort of precipitant? If a precipitant would be better then which one?
Thanks!

The best process, unless you don't mind buying or building support equipment to recover the values from either carbon or resin, is the use of zinc flour. It's not expensive and does an instant and admirable job.

Harold

With A/P, or A/Cl, 1 day in a very ventilated area

Lino - Not sure what you are getting at here, destruction of cyanide? From what I have gathered the best way to destroy it is with sodium thiosulfate which I have a supply of.

So my main hobby is suction dredging. I have a 4" Keene dredge and I have used it quite a bit in Colorado, Utah and Idaho. My problem is this, I have all of these concentrates that I know have good gold in them they are just so fine that it is a huge hassle to recover them with the normal gravitational methods. I just can't stand to throw away my hard earned gold! I have researched all of the methods for some time now and have tried most of them. I agree with those on the site that say not to use mercury - maybe not for the same reasons but I still agree. So after reading everything I can and some experimentation on my own I have come to the conclusion that the most efficient method is leaching with Cyanide. The next question is where to get it? Well I found out its not so easy. I did find some sources but it is super expensive. Way not worth it. (Hoke says its about 40 cents a pound on pg 114 - I wish. I bet it was easy to get back then too) So I did some more research and I have been successful in making my own sodium cyanide. I am going to try a small pilot batch of roasted concentrates and see how it goes.

If you are going to work with cyanide the best advise I can offer is: invest in a good ph meter and the support equipment to keep it acurate, a large supply of sodium hydroxide to neutralize if it get out of hand, this should keep you safe. . Baja Bob

I don't think NaCN costs more than 5 bucks a pound in bulk. I know from a chemical supplier for ''technical grade'' it would cost me about $15 plus a ridiculous $25 hazmat fee in addition to shipping.

Don't bother with thiocyanate. Save that for bromine burns. Use strong bleach.

gotgoldfever said:
With A/P, or A/Cl, 1 day in a very ventilated area

Lino - Not sure what you are getting at here, destruction of cyanide? From what I have gathered the best way to destroy it is with sodium thiosulfate which I have a supply of.

HCl/Cl under pressure will destroy Cyanide as well. Not something to do in a garage.

As Lou said: Bleach is the cheapest and best way.

Wow I am a bit dissapointed. I was kinda expecting someone to tell me that if I used cyanide the world as we know it would come to an end. I kinda figure if I have the nads to strap on 80 lbs of lead so I can stick to the bottom of a raging river (and not die) I should be able to get past the fear of using cyanide. The truth is that like any tool it just has to be commanded its due level of respect. I had to learn to drive a car, could quite easily have killed myself or someone else. I'll be the first to admit I have no experience using it but I have done my homework and I feel like I am pretty safe. BTW I would really like to know where tho get it in bulk for $5 a lb as making it is not exacltly easy. I would also like to thank everone on this forum for their willingness to help and the input that has been provided not only to me but all the noobs.

gotgoldfever said:
Wow I am a bit dissapointed. I was kinda expecting someone to tell me that if I used cyanide the world as we know it would come to an end. I kinda figure if I have the nads to strap on 80 lbs of lead so I can stick to the bottom of a raging river (and not die) I should be able to get past the fear of using cyanide. The truth is that like any tool it just has to be commanded its due level of respect. I had to learn to drive a car, could quite easily have killed myself or someone else. I'll be the first to admit I have no experience using it but I have done my homework and I feel like I am pretty safe. BTW I would really like to know where tho get it in bulk for $5 a lb as making it is not exacltly easy. I would also like to thank everone on this forum for their willingness to help and the input that has been provided not only to me but all the noobs.

You can expect a visit from the environmental folks. Cyanide is on the watch list and no matter what the intended use, they will want to have some input.

Just a few ppm in the sewer system will kill the bacteria in the digestion tanks. Expect a very big cleanup bill if there is an accidental spill.

I don't think anyone here recommends using Cyanide.

Research it, start small, consult people who have used it, and think ahead and plan for the worst. Do this and if anything should happen, you will be prepared to handle it.

There are threads here written by people who have used cyanide. It is a very useful chemical, but it is toxic and needs to be respected.

While it is possible (again, with tenacity) to make your own cyanide in bulk (see sciencemadness.org for people doing this), it is possible to buy it from a large company like Brenntag or UNIVAR, providing you have legitimate use, facilities, and credentials (i.e. a business license, perhaps a PhD would be helpful :p).

If it weren't for the ridiculous amount of liability, I'm sure many companies would gladly sell it to responsible, safety-minded people who have a reason to use it. For this same reason, I will not sell any either or mention any more on acquiring it. If you want to figure out how to make it, hit the books--I'll only offer advice on safety.

Back