problem during precipitation

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joheleh

hi guys, i tried to precipitate my gold with SMB but i don't know if is it normal that the powder is so fine, i expected a lil bit more powder, but the AR solution is empty(tested with stannous chloride)...this powder is really difficult to wash...any advices?

by the way u can see almost all the process here on the forum : http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19510

2013-11-13 17.29.50.jpg2013-11-16 19.44.52.jpg2013-11-18 21.06.26.jpg2013-11-19 12.57.02.jpg

and here there's the video of my precipitation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CG_oLN2T0E

Put 50 g of SMB in 100 mL of water at room temperature (20 °C)

Give it a good stir and leave for a hour, Then take a good look at the bottom of the vessel. If their are undissolved substances left at the bottom. Then you'll know the SMB is contaminated.

Always Check all the simple things before stepping into complexer territories.

9kuuby9 said:

Give it a good stir and leave for a hour, Then take a good look at the bottom of the vessel. If their are undissolved substances left at the bottom. Then you'll know the SMB is contaminated.

my SMB is pure and already tested, my problem is the gauge and the quantity of the precipitation.

A better precipitation will be achieved
by adding methanol or acetone to reduce
specific gravity of liquid

joheleh said:
9kuuby9 said:

my SMB is pure and already tested, my problem is the gauge and the quantity of the precipitation.
Your problems are more than that :shock:
List exactly what process (step by step) you used to get this solution you started with and show a picture of the label on your SMB.
I Know these are the foils from the other thread and they were recovered with nitric (faster but a waste of money)

niteliteone said:
joheleh said:
9kuuby9 said:

Your problems are more than that :shock:
List exactly what process (step by step) you used to get this solution you started with and show a picture of the label on your SMB.
I Know these are the foils from the other thread and they were recovered with nitric (faster but a waste of money)

-once i've collected the golden leaves i washed em with water
-decanted
-covered with HCl(32%)
-added lil amount of nitric and stirred untill gold was gone
-filtered the solution
-tested with Stanous Chloride
...and then precipitated with SMB

after that:
-washed the powder with water x3
-boiled in water(distilled) for 5min
-boiled in HCl for 5min
-decanted and dried

2013-11-18 11.12.59.jpg2013-11-19 18.26.57.jpg2013-11-20 20.44.10.jpg2013-11-21 21.58.29.jpg

u say my nitric process was faster but a waste of money (i paid my nitric 7$/Lt, and i used 2Lt to process approx. 10Kg of pcb's), i've collected 1.3g of gold from this.

Ps: as u can see is not fully melted because i've run out of oxigen during melting :evil: , i've to wait untill i buy another oxigen tank, but at least powder heated up now is tightened.

I can see by one of your pics that your gold powder is sticking to the glass container. To avoid this you MUST use a vessel that is as clean as you can possibly get it. When you dry your gold in a clean vessel the gold will not stick!

you said you expected more how much more did you expect .just curious

Lino budy pal where have you been
Study's kepping you busy :lol:

Like the other guy said kick us a bone
I would guess that the lower the specific gravity of your solution(correc)
Would make the drop faster or at least settle faster being how gravity is actually a force pushing to the ground the gold would be forced to the bottom easier??? Does that make sence

Sorry thanks steyr223. Rob

Don't add acetone to your solutions. Just a word of advice. A friend of mine pointed out to me that It's an organic compound. And we don't want those on our inorganic solutions. That's why you incinerate and keep things clean, to try and keep organic compounds out.

Tyler

I would recommend a google search on acetone , chlorine reaction. Not for the beginner.

Latest posts

Back