Problem with cats - PH doesn't go up

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plamenppp

I found a man who is buying cats and after that selling them for some profit. He didn't mind to sell me some for the price he was getting for them. I bought 3 cats from 1.9 diesel VW. The man was sure they contain only Pt (I don't know why he was so sure but he has been in the business for more than 10 years). After a lot of filtering of carbon and oil I managed to capture its treasure in HCl-Cl solution. The first one was fine - everything happened as in Steve's DVD. I dissolved the black mud in diluted AR and there was nothing left but some filter paper remains. The stannous test was positive for Pt - the color was orange. The problem I have concerns the other two cats.
I decided to boil the first one (85 degrees C) for about 3 hours and pour some bleach every 30 minutes and pour some HCl when it was evaporating to critical levels. I filtered the solution to remove the excess carbon and oil and boiled it again for one more hour and poured some bleach when I was starting and half an hour after that. Then I decided to use the same HCl-Cl solution for the last one cat. I repeated everything and poured the solution in a plastic bucket to cool down for the night (it was 3 o'clock in the morning and I needed some sleep). The next morning I filtered everything and the HCl-Cl was green as in the picture below. It was strange for me but I've read in the forum that different colors occur sometimes. I put some soda ash and more and more - slowly - step by step. I was checking the solution's PH with PH tester and it never went above 3. I was adding adding soda ash and then it began to get harder and harder for the soda ash to dissolve. First it was fizzing and disappearing in 10 seconds and then it formed small balls and I had to crush them. I decided that there was nothing more that i could do and started adding zinc. There was no fizzing like the the first time with the first cat. I had a very strange solution full with black (maybe gray (zinc is gray)) particles floating around. The zinc stuck at the bottom of the vessel. I started stirring but situation didn't change. I left it this way and I will be back for it in a week.
What do I do wrong? Is it that I boiled two cats in the same solution and added probably more bleach than necessary or is it the soda ash or something else? What shall I do next?

Attachments

• 25042010489.jpg
    25042010489.jpg
    133 KB
  • 25042010485.jpg
    25042010485.jpg
    113 KB
  • 25042010490.jpg
    25042010490.jpg
    120 KB
lazersteve said:
You can try adding some HCl to get the zinc into solution.

Steve

I did it. It worked. A lot of fizzing but it worked just more than fine and fast. I filtered the HCl and everything else and got a nice black sediment. Then I added the filter with the sediment into my AR/Pt solution and heated it up. The black mud (together with the filter) was dissolved.

Latest posts

Back