Process to convert silver sulphide into metalic silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One question Manuel,

Can sodium nitrate be used instead of potassium nitrate?

Saludos,

Manuel,

Have you used your process to get metallic silver from quartz ores' silver sulphides?

Gracias

Alexandre

Alexandre:

No,I have not used it for ores.

I think it will be very expensive because you will have to melt tons of ore.As far as I know,roasting process works better than my porcess.

I use my process for silver recovery from photo fixers.I am posting for you a book for silver sulfide ores.

http://www.archive.org/stream/hydrometallurgy02hofmgoog/hydrometallurgy02hofmgoog_djvu.txt

I hope it helps.

Kindest regards.

Manuel

Hi Manuel, we were able to use your process for the mud. It worked perfectly. Thank you.

I'm a little stuck on what to do to make the "mud". We have solution where everything has already "fell" to the bottom over a period of a long time. The mixture at the bottom is extremely silver and shining. Not sure what that is. When you put copper in the solution it does not plate the copper, so we believe it's out of it and all at the bottom in the silver mixture. However, if we do your process or just melt the silver mixture by itself, nothing happens but evaporation.

Do you have any idea of what this is and how to get it into the form of the "mud" in the most efficient and timely way? Once we do, obviously we can use your method to turn it to silver.

Thanks again for your help on this.

We were just messing with the silver colored solution at the bottom of the spent solution. We added lye and syrup to the solution with water and waited and it dropped out little black specs along with some grey specks. Then we went it and used your method of adding the pottasium nitrate and we got silver. So I guess the question is still what do we have and how can we get the silver out of it efficiently? Confused of course... thanks for the help.

Terrypayton:

If copper wire does not get gray/silvered it means that there is not any silver in solution,so pour off the liquid,filter the mud and dry it by any known method(you can just put it in the sun).This mud is a mixure of sulphides(among silver sulphide) and sulphur.

You can use my process for silver sulphide or you can use AR to convert all sulphides into chlorides so you will get silver chloride+sulphur,as a gray mud but the only way to convert it to metallic silver is melting with sodium carbonate,I do not know why but do not use cementation,lye or any other process to convert it to metallic silver,probably sulphur interferes with these processes.

Keep us posted about your progress.

Kindest regrads.

Manuel

Back