Processing MLCCs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romix

100 Gramm of MLCCs from all sort of electronics, different brands, models and years.
Left 'em for a year in a jar, closed with lid, not to let oxygen. Adding few drops of dillute hcl every month.

Right, dilluted it with distill water. And stirred, then purred of white precipitate, repeated it 3 times holding nickel layers with neodium magnet.
All separated, unreacted nickel layers, white precipitate and green solution. Almost all ceramic dissolved.

I trying to indetify cation in chloride solution. Solution is green, crystals light blue with green tint. Anhydrous yellow, hydroxide light blue, not forming complex with ammonia, no reduction with aluminium and its oxide is grey.

Please help.

Tin will form stannous chloride in HCl (clear solution), in dilute HCl and or with oxidation can hydrolyze to SnCl4.
Nickle will form a green to blue solution, DMG in an alkaline solution is a good test for nickle.
salts can be green but dried can turn yellow
Copper Chloride CuCl can be a more brown solution with a white precipitate, CuCl2 solution is blue very dilute to green (much like nickle), ammonia is a good test for copper in solution.
(Caution using ammonia with a silver chloride salt (see below) (for safety be sure to acidify as soon as possible, if silver is dissolved into solution).
copper salts can be white, greenish, to blue.
Palladium can darken the solution from green towards brown, DMG in an acidic solution is a good test for palladium.
Silver chloride will look milky if in solution and precipitate as a white powders.
Lead chloride is also a white precipitated powder.
Lead chloride is pretty much insoluble in cold water but becomes fairly easily soluble in boiling hot water, silver chloride is insoluble in water (cold or hot), dissolving lead chloride in boiling hot water and decanting it from the silver chloride, then letting the dissolved lead chloride solution cool, to precipitate most of the lead chloride from the solution as whitish needle like crystals.
silver chloride when washed of acid will darken in bright light, from a violet to blackish coating(as the outer part of the crystals form reduced silver), (the inner part of the crystals unexposed to light are still AgCl inside), ammonium hydroxide will dissolve silver chloride, make sure to add HCl to acidify soon after to precipitate silver as chloride from solution as soon as possibly (silver ammines can form dangerous compounds, or explosive if dried...

The precipitate could be a mixture of precipitates and precipitated salts or cemented metals which may give several different colors, the salts can be a mixture of several different chloride salts and metal...
Some like CuCl will dissolve in HCl to form CuCl2 which can be tested for with ammonia, some like PbC2 will dissolve in boiling hot water and can be separated, and re-precipitated in the cooled solution, other can be tested for...

Study of Hoke's book and doing the getting acquainted experiments can help be a great help to understand what you may have, or help you to understand how to test for, or separate these...

butcher said:
Tin will form stannous chloride in HCl (clear solution), in dilute HCl and or with oxidation can hydrolyze to SnCl4.
Nickle will form a green to blue solution, DMG in an alkaline solution is a good test for nickle.
salts can be green but dried can turn yellow
Copper Chloride CuCl can be a more brown solution with a white precipitate, CuCl2 is blue dilute to green (much like nickle), ammonia is a good test for copper in solution.
copper salts can be white, greenish, to blue.
Palladium can darken the solution from green towards brown, DMG in an acidic solution is a good test for palladium.
Silver chloride will look milky if in solution and precipitate as a white powders.
Lead chloride is also a white precipitated powder.
Lead chloride is pretty much insoluble in cold water but becomes fairly easily soluble in boiling hot water, silver chloride is insoluble in water (cold or hot), dissolving lead chloride in boiling hot water and decanting it from the silver chloride, then letting the dissolved lead chloride solution cool, to precipitate most of the lead chloride from the solution as whitish needle like crystals.
silver chloride when washed of acid will darken in bright light, from a violet to blackish coating(as the outer part of the crystals form reduced silver), (the inner part of the crystals unexposed to light are still AgCl inside), amonium hydroxide will dissolve silver chloride, make sure to add HCl to acidify soon after to precipitate silver as chloride from solution as soon as possibly (silver ammines can form dangerous compounds, or explosive if dried...

The precipitate could be a mixture of precipitates and precipitated salts or cemented metals which may give several different colors, the salts can be a mixture of several different chloride salts and metal...
Some like CuCl will dissolve in HCl to form CuCl2 which can be tested for with ammonia, some like PbCl will dissolve in boiling hot water and can be separated, and reprecipitated in the cooled solution, other can be tested for...

Study of Hoke's book and doing the getting acquainted experiments can help be a great help to understand what you may have, or help you to understand how to test for, or separate these...

SnCl4 fumes on air? It won't produce enough of it to harm?
Nickel is insoluble in hcl, at any temp. Possible is soluble with oxider. Dissolving good in nitric acid.
It might be nickel, anyhydrous is yellow, oxide grey, hydroxides light blue, and there is alot of it in MLCCs. But why it not forming complex with ammonia solution? it's very dilluted. I'll try to add more later. And nickel not reducable with alum.

Not sure about copper+1, precipitate I seen light green, people say it's oxychloride, other say chloride (I). I don't know who to trust, im not a chemist, don't know.
Crystalls of it are blue needle like, melts in air, turning green. CuCl2 I mean.
Hydroxide is dark blue, forming purple complex with ammonia, but it must be of high concentration. Complex decomposing at boiling temperature of water.
On air in Cu citrate, precipitate forming, which decomposes to metalic copper on heating.
Sulphate blue, acetate green.
Easy to identify by flame test, oxide when heated to over 500°C, fumes, flame colour changes to light blue 5cm away from heated oxide.

Zero knowlege of Pd.

Silver nitrate is easy to crystallize by droping temperature down, PPE must be worn, it leaves black marks on skin, and on contact with any organic material.

Lead toxic when ingested.

Romix said:
Nickel is insoluble in hcl, at any temp.
Not true. I used to dissolve the nickel backing off of pure Pd contact points with hot concentrated reagent grade HCl. It worked slow but definitely dissolved the nickel without affecting the Pd. The solution was green. When the points were no longer attracted to a magnet, I knew the nickel was gone.

No, it's not nickel, not forming coplex with ammonia, instead light blue precipitate forming, same for NaOH.

White precipitate is oxychloride of bismuth?
Formed on dillution of solution, hydrolysis?

Oh no, something recoverse with aluminium but very very slow.
It's copper, probs ripped off a copper line with capacitor.
When solution saturated with it, it recoverse very quickly.

goldsilverpro said:
Romix said:
Not true. I used to dissolve the nickel backing off of pure Pd contact points with hot concentrated reagent grade HCl. It worked slow but definitely dissolved the nickel without affecting the Pd. The solution was green. When the points were no longer attracted to a magnet, I knew the nickel was gone.

Yes, with oxygen.

But if Bi dissolved, Ni should too.
Anhydrous yellow. Why it not forming complex?

Romix said:
goldsilverpro said:
Romix said:

Yes, with oxygen.
According to both Lange's and CRC, nickel is slightly soluble in HCl.

goldsilverpro said:
Romix said:
goldsilverpro said:
Romix said:

Yes, with oxygen.
According to both Lange's and CRC, nickel is slightly soluble in HCl.

GSP is correct - its how I get rid of the nickel on Pd contact points as well - heat is needed - no oxygen (no bubbler, H2O2, etc.)

Kurt

Nickel is above hydrogen in the reactivity series of metals, it will dissolve in HCl without an oxidizer like air, H2O2, chlorine, nitrates... nickel will displace hydrogen from acids.

Nickel is not very far above hydrogen in the series, so it is not as vigorous of a reaction with acids as some of the more reactive metals but it will definitely dissolve.
Ni + 2HCl --> NiCl2 + H2(g)

Latest posts

Back