Processing Questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarg_Scorpio

Hi Guys,

Been on the forums here a month or so now just reading up and learning as much as i can ( alot of information here )
I have been collecting parts from computers that end up at my place and taking the rest to the scrapers.
Im not intending to process these yet as i want to make sure i understand and get everything right before even attempt the first step.

So far Ive collected:

30x Fiber CPU
2x 486 Ceramic CPU
100+ ram sticks now
Ive also gone through the boards with my spear time and taken off the fingers and Jumper Pin's
300g Jumper Pins (from HDD, Floppy, CD Drive and motherboards)
50g CPU Pins (removed)
40g IDE Gold Plated connectors

Right now im just separating everything and learning what i can from these forums. Ive watched allot of the videos / read the book as many of you have suggested to other newbies to do.

My questions is:
I understand fingers can be done using AP , however after reading so many posts on here im a bit lost with the pins now. I think the best way would be AR however i have a lot of HCL 30% and Hydrogen Peroxide 3% that i can use, So is it possible to process Jumper pins in the AP process (even if i don't mind the time taken to process them compared to AR). I get that AP takes off gold plated.... however im a little confused as to if Jumper Pins are gold coated or 9-12kt ? (some people said that are kt but i read/thought it was only plated)

Also can CPU Pins be done in AP if they have been removed from the Green Fiber with a heat torch?

Below is a picture of the Jumper pins im looking at
TSWs_TSMs.jpg

idc-26p-socket-428.jpg

As said before im just gathering information right now so any more advice/information you can provide will be much appreciated :D

All of the pins can be done in AP, but as you know it takes a while depending on the base metal. Dissolve all material completely or your values will cement back onto the undissolved base metal. Don't use AR as you will be dissolving your values with the base metals. All pins are plated.

Cpu pins can be done in AP, but i do not mix them with pins from jumpers because the pins from Cpu are kovar and need more time to disolve the base material.

awesome thanks for the help guys :D , Other thing i have been looking at is how much AP to Pins

From some other topics i was thinking something around

100g Pins = 200ml HCL + 100ml H202

What do you guys think ? Or should i go with more AP per 100g Pins

300 ml's of solution for nearly a quarter pound of pins is going to be woefully short. it will become saturated with copper and start precipitating white copper chloride crystals. move the volume of solution up to the 1 gallon range.

Some of the pins have solder still on them.. I have looked into some old posts and just wanted to ask to be sure.. Should i put the pins into some HCL for 24 hours to remove the solder to make them all clean or do you think they will be fine as is with some solder on them ?

Also got about 500g of pins now so 5 Gallons of AP solution should be a good start for this ? i think i will do it in 100g batch's to 1 Gallon AP Solution to be safe and learn the process.

until you understand the process, start with a small batch. tin solder can be a problem for the beginner, you can soak the pins in hcl, but be aware that the pins will look like the gold is missing when they come out of the solution. the gold will still be there, but it will look like copper. most people attempting this for the first time swear the hcl has removed the gold. when the solder dissolves, it takes on a positive charge. the pins will have a negative charge so you get a light coating on the gold surface.

You got to trust Geo, also i learn from him. I also refine a batch of boards whit solder and i got some problems but you can fix them. I'ts best for you to learn whit fingers and then go to CPU and pins.

Sarg_Scorpio said:
Hi Guys,

Been on the forums here a month or so now just reading up and learning as much as i can ( alot of information here )
I have been collecting parts from computers that end up at my place and taking the rest to the scrapers.
Im not intending to process these yet as i want to make sure i understand and get everything right before even attempt the first step.

So far Ive collected:

30x Fiber CPU
2x 486 Ceramic CPU
100+ ram sticks now
Ive also gone through the boards with my spear time and taken off the fingers and Jumper Pin's
300g Jumper Pins (from HDD, Floppy, CD Drive and motherboards)
50g CPU Pins (removed)
40g IDE Gold Plated connectors

Right now im just separating everything and learning what i can from these forums. Ive watched allot of the videos / read the book as many of you have suggested to other newbies to do.

My questions is:
I understand fingers can be done using AP , however after reading so many posts on here im a bit lost with the pins now. I think the best way would be AR however i have a lot of HCL 30% and Hydrogen Peroxide 3% that i can use, So is it possible to process Jumper pins in the AP process (even if i don't mind the time taken to process them compared to AR). I get that AP takes off gold plated.... however im a little confused as to if Jumper Pins are gold coated or 9-12kt ? (some people said that are kt but i read/thought it was only plated)

Also can CPU Pins be done in AP if they have been removed from the Green Fiber with a heat torch?

Below is a picture of the Jumper pins im looking at
TSWs_TSMs.jpg

idc-26p-socket-428.jpg

As said before im just gathering information right now so any more advice/information you can provide will be much appreciated :D

Hello, you say you have 100 ram sticks. You could sell these ( in working order)for a nice return and make $. The amount of gold on these sticks plus the time and chemicals will make you less money. Just something to think about.

Geo said:
until you understand the process, start with a small batch. tin solder can be a problem for the beginner, you can soak the pins in hcl, but be aware that the pins will look like the gold is missing when they come out of the solution. the gold will still be there, but it will look like copper. most people attempting this for the first time swear the hcl has removed the gold. when the solder dissolves, it takes on a positive charge. the pins will have a negative charge so you get a light coating on the gold surface.

i finaly understand why it always do that
Geo THANK YOU :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back