processing used filters

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldenfrog said:
as for your reference to making Copperas with the iron sulfate, I was looking around for that procedure too.
I am not a fan of the stinky SMB and wanted to try dropping gold with it sometime.
How do you crystalize the iron sulfate?
I'm pretty sure both copperas and SMB work by releasing sulfur dioxide gas ("the stinky"), which is what actually precipitates your gold. In larger scale settings, SO2 gas is often used directly.

upcyclist said:
goldenfrog said:
as for your reference to making Copperas with the iron sulfate, I was looking around for that procedure too.
I am not a fan of the stinky SMB and wanted to try dropping gold with it sometime.
I'm pretty sure both copperas and SMB work by releasing sulfur dioxide gas ("the stinky"), which is what actually precipitates your gold. In larger scale settings, SO2 gas is often used directly.

Copperas has a different reduction reaction for precipitation.

Lazersteve has the formula posted half down or so
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3791

I like using copperas, a lot.
If its stuff I have made, I just use the crystals straight. No water to dissolve them, or HCl to turn the aqueous solution green.
Hi yield stuff, needs dissolved and treated first, then filtered before use.

Break time over.. Back to work :(

Topher_osAUrus said:
upcyclist said:
goldenfrog said:

Copperas has a different reduction reaction for precipitation.

Lazersteve has the formula posted half down or so
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3791

I like using copperas, a lot.
If its stuff I have made, I just use the crystals straight. No water to dissolve them, or HCl to turn the aqueous solution green.
Hi yield stuff, needs dissolved and treated first, then filtered before use.
I stand corrected, then.

I use it undissolved as well--I use ice to dilute, so I know there's plenty of water available.

upcyclist said:
I use it undissolved as well--I use ice to dilute, so I know there's plenty of water available.

Do you use hi-yield, make your own, or get some pure stuff from a chem company?

I've never had good luck with hi-yield or other. It seems once they dry the crystals out they start to oxidize quickly and after dissolving the bulk of them in water, there is always little orange-brown-rusty bits at the bottom. After I add HCl to it, it of course turns green and I hear bubbles from the bottom (I assume the colored bits reacting with the HCl)

...anyways, the not so long-short of it.
If you get the oxidized stuff and add it directly to the auric chloride, some of those iron bits may be difficult to wash out of your lovely pure gold powder.

However, if you get the pure, non oxidized stuff, or make your own and store it properly. Disregard all of that posted above. :)

The one problem with copperas is that it will leave traces of iron in your precipitated gold if it is not very clean, changed from that nice green coloured crystals to a straw like colour, if that occurs dissolving in hot water and adding Hcl is recommended.

I think mine actually came from a food- or wine-producer place. It's still green.

Also, I tend to do first drop with copperas, second with SMB.

upcyclist said:
I think mine actually came from a food- or wine-producer place. It's still green.

Also, I tend to do first drop with copperas, second with SMB.

I figured a wise man such as yourself would have such a good practice. :)

nickvc said:
The one problem with copperas is that it will leave traces of iron in your precipitated gold if it is not very clean, changed from that nice green coloured crystals to a straw like colour, if that occurs dissolving in hot water and adding Hcl is recommended.

I bought a bunch of used chems from a member last year, and the copperas was all oxidized. It was a mix of straw colored to dirt brown. With some little specs of light green.
I did not want to take the chance, so I ended up dissolving it and crystalizing it again.

I love the practice of copperas first drop. Smb 2nd, if 3rd is required, oxalic. But, I only do that for jewelers that are using the gold for their work.
It gives me peace of mind, knowing that it is about as pure as I could possibly ever get it (without trying to replicate Lou's insane ultra pure gold method!)

Okay-thread derail over.. Got to unload my last bit of stuff, since we just pulled into town.. Home sweet home

Latest posts

Back