proper volume for SMB precip

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsargent

Thought I would try SMB on this batch of ore I have leached and I'm wondering what the recommended volume of SMB should be for each liter of lixiviant?
The ore (placer sand) has an assayed value of 1/2 ounce per ton Au. 3000 lbs of this sand was extracted into 500 gallons of water using HCL, salt and monopersulfate as the oxidant. pH was kept below 2.0, ORP at or near 850mv for 8 hours and the resulting lixiviant is a clear, pale yellow in color. Prior to acidification I did a citric acid wash to get rid of the iron then flushed the sysytem with well water.
I did an initial extraction by circulating lixiviant thru an ion exchange resin (Smopex-103) which was a real pain in the butt as the material had to be combusted to liberate the bound metals. Won't go thru that again for sure. Plus the resin became fouled with residual iron contrary to the claims of Johnson Matthey chemists with whom I have consulted.
Thanks for your input and help in advance!

Nevermind... Digging thru the wealth of info in these archives I found the answer... about 1 part SMB to 1 part of expected gold seems to be the answer.
I love this place.

Latest posts

Back