Purple Rinse Water

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lead chloride, if so, it will dissolve in hot water, and reform into a precipitate when the water is cooled.

Silver chloride is a more fluffy cloud-like, or I would call it similar to puffballs or white powdery precipitate, it would also be changing to dark color in ultraviolet light, silver chloride will not dissolve when the water is heated,

lead chloride, if so, it will dissolve in hot water, and reform into a precipitate when the water is cooled.

Silver chloride is a more fluffy cloud-like, or I would call it similar to puffballs or white powdery precipitate, it would also be changing to dark color in ultraviolet light, silver chloride will not dissolve when the water is heated,
As an experiment, I decanted this and placed these crystals in a smaller vessel. Not sure how hot the water needed to be but they did disappear with hot tap water (130 deg F). Interestingly they had started to disappear prior to adding the hot water to the vessel. This I do not begin to understand, as the vessel was clean and the liquid had not been altered except the volume was decreased. Then after observing the disappearance I placed an ice cube in the vessel and no visible precipitate formed.

As an experiment, I decanted this and placed these crystals in a smaller vessel. Not sure how hot the water needed to be but they did disappear with hot tap water (130 deg F). Interestingly they had started to disappear prior to adding the hot water to the vessel. This I do not begin to understand, as the vessel was clean and the liquid had not been altered except the volume was decreased. Then after observing the disappearance I placed an ice cube in the vessel and no visible precipitate formed.
Add a few drops of Sulfuric. If it is lead it will drop out as Lead sulfate.

Too late for that I have discarded it. I did notice when washing the vessel there was a slight light blue cloud in the dish water when I first submerged the vessel.
Not discarded in that holding tank you mentioned earlier I hope? Dealing with Waste
There is a reason lead is not used much anymore, it creates toxic salts in time, you just dump them in nature?

YOUR'E NOT CLEANING CHEMICAL BEAKERS IN THE DISH WATER SINK I HOPE???!!!!
cheers on your next cup of joe... mouth foaming and spasms may occur.

May I suggest you stop and go study?
That light blue cloud was copper salts, highly toxic for all aquatic life and most plants and animals.
Can someone please go visit this gentleman and put a lock on his sewage tank?

Your ignorance will poison your neighbors. Their family and friends might not be very pleased with that and come see who poisoned them.
Pitchforks and burning torches are optional.

Act safe, stay alive.

I dump nothing in nature. The liquid was discarded in a vessel I am keeping just for liquids from my experimentation. I am keeping my experimentation on a very small scale and may well stop. I cannot seem to find anyplace local willing to accept the liquids generated by the experimentation. I will be doing some research when I travel south as there may be a means to dispose of the liquids in the area I will be travelling to.

I dump nothing in nature. The liquid was discarded in a vessel I am keeping just for liquids from my experimentation. I am keeping my experimentation on a very small scale and may well stop. I cannot seem to find anyplace local willing to accept the liquids generated by the experimentation. I will be doing some research when I travel south as there may be a means to dispose of the liquids in the area I will be travelling to.
I have Pyrex containers that I can heat. Once the salts are at neutral pH, I heat gently until I vaporize the water away, then put the solid salts in a container. In summer, I take advantage of the natural heat to evaporate the water away inside a little greenhouse I'm not using during these months since it gets too hot for plants inside, but is perfect for evaporating water away. Chlorides never completely dry, as they're very hygroscopic. Nitrate salts are the best. With constant heating, they completely dehydrate, and many will decompose into nitrogen dioxide which floats away (heat them outside or with plenty of venting if doing this), and solid metal oxides.

Back