Quartz Gold?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shark
Thanks for the feedback..

I have now dumped 1lb of gold fingers and phone parts. Into 500ml hcl and 50ml bleach..

I will wait for foils to fall away and dissolve...

Then I will filter solution after maybe 14 days for any gold that may have fallen away from the materials..

Am I on the right track??
MM

Shark

I have now dumped 1lb of gold fingers and phone parts. Into 500ml hcl and 50ml bleach..

Then I will filter solution after maybe 14 days for any gold that may have fallen away from the materials..

MM
You are not even on the right road.
You do not dissolve Gold until all base metals are gone.
Then you can find the Bleach.

What about studying???
I have pestered you about studying and you seem to be immune to my advice so why do you even ask?

Shark

Phone parts and fingers do not go together.
What phone parts did you dump into this mix? Why mix up materials, you will never know if your recovery is efficient when mixing random materials. If you study the forum just a little this is the first thing we tell new people.

Your bleach will be lucky to survive 24 hours. It is just not efficient when mixing materials together. It works OK on foils that are already off and powders for a second run. But whole boards will be lucky to get the foils loose.
If you’re willing to wait 14 days just use AP aka copper ll chloride. It is faster than that and works well. It is also reusable with minimal care. Ever hear the saying “speed kills”? Rushing into refining with too little knowledge can kill, you and your neighbors along with any other animals that blunder into it.
MM
Re read every reply to this whole thread again, let us know if you think it is the right track. Besides, this should be ask before even thinking of pouring chemicals. One thing the general forum also likes is to see the plan before the person proceeds. This helps eliminate possible problems AND gives us time to point out potential corrections before the problem occurs.

The real question is … how good do you want to be at this? If you want to just dump stuff together and constantly struggle to get some gold back you’re doing fine. Although eventually people will get tired of holding your hand to solve your problems. If you want to process material and get the majority of the gold back, follow Yggdrasil’s advice, put up the chemicals, for now, and study more. It will pay off better in the long run. And most of us like to help those that really try hard to learn.

You are not even on the right road.
You do not dissolve Gold until all base metals are gone.
Then you can find the Bleach.

What about studying???
I have pestered you about studying and you seem to be immune to my advice so why do you even ask?
Hi

I have been reading cm hokes.

Ps. I have not been anywhere near nitric acid at this point.

My basic knowledge is
Hcl and peroxide can detach gold foils from electronic materials.
Then it is a filtering process, any foils can go into AR for 'refining'
Which will then allow you to drop gold with smb, copperas,, ascorbic or oxalic acid.

In the instance of silver being present AR Nitric & HCL will dissolve silver and hcl will drop silver?
Many have advised to drop silver First with hcl, then filter and drop gold..smb
The remaining solution could be tested for other values.

So now I have 1lb of electronics mostly fingers and phone items.
This is now in 500ml HCL and 50ml Bleach to dissolve gold and loosen any gold foils for filtering, which I will then take to an AR nitrate and Hcl solution to be refined and dropped...silver then gold, of course after stannous test.

Where am I going wrong here?
Thanks in advance

Phone parts and fingers do not go together.
What phone parts did you dump into this mix? Why mix up materials, you will never know if your recovery is efficient when mixing random materials. If you study the forum just a little this is the first thing we tell new people.

Your bleach will be lucky to survive 24 hours. It is just not efficient when mixing materials together. It works OK on foils that are already off and powders for a second run. But whole boards will be lucky to get the foils loose.

If you’re willing to wait 14 days just use AP aka copper ll chloride. It is faster than that and works well. It is also reusable with minimal care. Ever hear the saying “speed kills”? Rushing into refining with too little knowledge can kill, you and your neighbors along with any other animals that blunder into it.

Re read every reply to this whole thread again, let us know if you think it is the right track. Besides, this should be ask before even thinking of pouring chemicals. One thing the general forum also likes is to see the plan before the person proceeds. This helps eliminate possible problems AND gives us time to point out potential corrections before the problem occurs.

The real question is … how good do you want to be at this? If you want to just dump stuff together and constantly struggle to get some gold back you’re doing fine. Although eventually people will get tired of holding your hand to solve your problems. If you want to process material and get the majority of the gold back, follow Yggdrasil’s advice, put up the chemicals, for now, and study more. It will pay off better in the long run. And most of us like to help those that really try hard to learn.
Sir I am studying.
And thank you for the feedback.

You say the bleach will only last 24 hours? would it be safe to top up with 50ml peroxide 6%? To get my AP working properly? Or add the copper chloride: Green Malachite to the same ratio instead, the solution will still contains Hcl.

Speed does kill, i'm happy with reading and waiting...

Yggdrasil.....
Thanks... So bubbler will give oxygen and create a copper chloride..

Then wait 2 weeks for foils..

Thank you.

I understand that after AR HCL will drop silver, then formic acid at 80degrees drops palladium?

NO - this is ABSOLUTELY WRONG !!!

I don't know where you are getting your info from but it most certainly is not from here on the forum because if you spent any real time studying this forum - &/or reading C.M. Hokes you would know that AR does NOT dissolve silver but in fact creates silver chloride - which will cause problems if you try to dissolve gold &/or PGMs that has silver in it with AR

Therefore - I "assume" you are getting your info from youtube ?

If that is the case - as I said yesterday - STOP watching youtube !!!

Although there are some good youtube videos out there (but VERY FEW) the vast majority of them are FULL of incomplete info - actual mis-information & out right WRONG information

youtube has become a major problem for us here on the forum because youtube results in us then trying to have to fix the problems & the messes people come to us with after they have been watching youtube videos

Concerning the MLCCs - how do you even know if they even have any palladium in them ?

Not all MLCCs have Pd in them

There are 2 types of MLCCs

NME (Noble Metal Electrode) MLCCs - which are made with silver & palladium

BME (Base Metal Electrode) MLCCs - which are made with mostly copper & nickel (& they may - or not have "some" silver in them - but absolutely NO palladium)

Before 1998 - 2000 most MLCCs were made with NME (silver/palladium) AFTER 1998 - 2000 most MLCCs were made with BME (copper/nickel)

So if the circuit boards your MLCCs came from were made AFTER 2000 - there is likely absolutely NO palladium in them (MAYBE some silver) so - even if they have some silver - they are not worth processing because the cost of the acid to process them will cost MORE them the value of the silver you can recover from them

IF (the BIG IF) they happen to be NME - MLCCs (made BEFORE 2000) & you are going to leach them - you MUST use nitric acid NOT AR - & even then leaching them is NOT the best away to process them

Leaching MLCCs is a very messy process with problems & you will NOT get all the Ag/Pd out of them by leaching

You are FAR better served to smelt MLCCs !!!

Kurt

Last edited:
then formic acid at 80degrees drops palladium?

Concerning using formic acid to drop Pd from solution - it is NOT that simple - it is a VERY COMPLICATED process that requires little or no other metals in the solution (like copper, nickel etc.) & as well requires good Ph adjustment/control of the solution BEFORE adding the formic acid to drop the Pd

In other words - the solution needs to be relatively clean (of other metals) to start with - & then you need to get the chemistry (Ph adjustment) right - before adding the formic

You are better served to cement the Pd out of solution with copper - & even then you need to know what you are doing when you cement Pd with copper because cementing Pd with copper is NOT the same as cementing gold or silver with copper

Or better yet - smelt the MLCCs in the first place - instead of leaching them - smelting will save you all kinds of problems

Kurt

Concerning using formic acid to drop Pd from solution - it is NOT that simple - it is a VERY COMPLICATED process that requires little or no other metals in the solution (like copper, nickel etc.) & as well requires good Ph adjustment/control of the solution BEFORE adding the formic acid to drop the Pd

In other words - the solution needs to be relatively clean (of other metals) to start with - & then you need to get the chemistry (Ph adjustment) right - before adding the formic

You are better served to cement the Pd out of solution with copper - & even then you need to know what you are doing when you cement Pd with copper because cementing Pd with copper is NOT the same as cementing gold or silver with copper

Or better yet - smelt the MLCCs in the first place - instead of leaching them - smelting will save you all kinds of problems

Kurt
If I was to smelt the MLCC’s can I smelt with some copper/silver then go onto a nitric process or copper cell and recover in slimes ?
I feel like there’s a joke here :
He who smelt it dealt it 😆

Im staying away from Pd, just going for gold. And will bubble all the transistor rubble...
14 days of research will I wait...

NO - this is ABSOLUTELY WRONG !!!

I don't know where you are getting your info from but it most certainly is not from here on the forum because if you spent any real time studying this forum - &/or reading C.M. Hokes you would know that AR does NOT dissolve silver but in fact creates silver chloride - which will cause problems if you try to dissolve gold &/or PGMs that has silver in it with AR

Therefore - I "assume" you are getting your info from youtube ?

If that is the case - as I said yesterday - STOP watching youtube !!!

Although there are some good youtube videos out there (but VERY FEW) the vast majority of them are FULL of incomplete info - actual mis-information & out right WRONG information

youtube has become a major problem for us here on the forum because youtube results in us then trying to have to fix the problems & the messes people come to us with after they have been watching youtube videos

Concerning the MLCCs - how do you even know if they even have any palladium in them ?

Not all MLCCs have Pd in them

There are 2 types of MLCCs

NME (Noble Metal Electrode) MLCCs - which are made with silver & palladium

BME (Base Metal Electrode) MLCCs - which are made with mostly copper & nickel (& they may - or not have "some" silver in them - but absolutely NO palladium)

Before 1998 - 2000 most MLCCs were made with NME (silver/palladium) AFTER 1998 - 2000 most MLCCs were made with BME (copper/nickel)

So if the circuit boards your MLCCs came from were made AFTER 2000 - there is likely absolutely NO palladium in them (MAYBE some silver) so - even if they have some silver - they are not worth processing because the cost of the acid to process them will cost MORE them the value of the silver you can recover from them

IF (the BIG IF) they happen to be NME - MLCCs (made BEFORE 2000) & you are going to leach them - you MUST use nitric acid NOT AR - & even then leaching them is NOT the best away to process them

Leaching MLCCs is a very messy process with problems & you will NOT get all the Ag/Pd out of them by leaching

You are FAR better served to smelt MLCCs !!!

Kurt
Hi Kurt

Yes I am aware. Of bme and pme. Base and precious metal.
But to be fair you have alerted
me to the skills required for pd extraction...
Im sticking to my bubbler...and gold search..
The bubbler which I purchased today is really making a difference.. The material is visibly being impacted by the bubbling HCL
And yes.... YouTube is very flaky in terms of what is correct.
Im staying here and will Store Mlcc's...
Which are all pre 2000... Many came from old UK televisions and ancient pc's.

Bubble the rubble and wait.

MM

Kurt
For a smelt of the Ag/Pd capacitors,which collector metal works best? I can perform the fine pH adjustments for the formic acid method, but since I now have a furnace and crucibles, if a smelt works well that'd be the obvious route to use as it avoids toxic Pd salts.

For a smelt of the Ag/Pd capacitors,which collector metal works best? I can perform the fine pH adjustments for the formic acid method, but since I now have a furnace and crucibles, if a smelt works well that'd be the obvious route to use as it avoids toxic Pd salts.

Would there be enough Ag present in the MLCC's to act as the collector metal or should one add more silver?

Latest posts

Back