Question about iridium metal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most odd thing about all these forecasts is that they all imply that the loading of iridium in electrolysers will be decreased by an order of magnitude and that recovery rates will be "greater than 90%". The chances of both these events occuring within our lifetimes are slim. In my expereince reducing the loading down to trace levels makes the recovery and cost of recovery especially for Ir too difficult. The Ir price will be too high to justify its use in electrolysers (coupled with high electricity prices) any hydrogen thus will be prepared from oil/gas. There needs to be an end to all this greenwashing..

The most odd thing about all these forecasts is that they all imply that the loading of iridium in electrolysers will be decreased by an order of magnitude and that recovery rates will be "greater than 90%". The chances of both these events occuring within our lifetimes are slim. In my expereince reducing the loading down to trace levels makes the recovery and cost of recovery especially for Ir too difficult. The Ir price will be too high to justify its use in electrolysers (coupled with high electricity prices) any hydrogen thus will be prepared from oil/gas. There needs to be an end to all this greenwashing..
Ir has other uses so it is not only electrolyzing increasing the demand.
And it is still going to be minute amounts per electrolyzer.

It is not only the price for current that will be the driving force.
If the air traffic is forced away from hydrocarbons, the need for Ammonia and Hydrogen will be there, and has to be met some how.

Most of today's demand is probably driven by the research departments around the world, and if the production is going to start for full,
the Ir and other catalysts will be a minor cost in the total mix.

Another field that has had a major push, lately is the replacement of expensive catalysts due to engineered molecular clusters performing a similar job.
There has been some success in this area

Ir has other uses so it is not only electrolyzing increasing the demand.
And it is still going to be minute amounts per electrolyzer.

It is not only the price for current that will be the driving force.
If the air traffic is forced away from hydrocarbons, the need for Ammonia and Hydrogen will be there, and has to be met some how.

Most of today's demand is probably driven by the research departments around the world, and if the production is going to start for full,
the Ir and other catalysts will be a minor cost in the total mix.

Another field that has had a major push, lately is the replacement of expensive catalysts due to engineered molecular clusters performing a similar job.
There has been some success in this area
Actually, catalysts are relatively prevalent use of Ir, search Cativa process :) Finding replacement here would be tough, since factories are well established and running. Quite a percentage of Ir and Rh are used in industrial synthetic catalysis in production of basic organic chemicals.

There were promising applications of Ir dye sensitizers in non-Si solar panels, but again the price is so high, and simply there isn´t enough Ir to make it happen.

Eventually, that is the thing which happens all the time - if something is non-abundant, and technology relies on it, immense effort is made to replace the expensive stuff or completly redesign the process.

Is there any buyers interested in buying IR? I can provide around 10 Kg every month which will include some RU and OS. Typically, 60-90% IR, rest RU and OS.

Hello friends, how are you, WHAT FURNACE IS USED TO MELTING IRIDIUM POWDER?

Hello friends, how are you, WHAT FURNACE IS USED TO MELTING IRIDIUM POWDER?
You need minimum 2400-2500 C so electron beam melting or HF Induction would be my guesses.
You can reach 3500 C with Oxy-Acetylene but I'm not sure if its practical or the Carbon will influence the Iridium.

Carbon not so much an issue. Bigger issue is not getting blinded if it has osmium contamination.

Solid iridium can be melted in lime crucibles via induction. The vapor pressure of the crucible material is appreciably enough to make this a very dense smoke operation. I've only ever melted the powder via arc. The arc melted beads can be melted in induction subject to the issues mentioned.

Carbon not so much an issue. Bigger issue is not getting blinded if it has osmium contamination.

Solid iridium can be melted in lime crucibles via induction. The vapor pressure of the crucible material is appreciably enough to make this a very dense smoke operation. I've only ever melted the powder via arc. The arc melted beads can be melted in induction subject to the issues mentioned.
Hypothetically speaking.
Will solid metallic Osmium create OsmiumTetraoxide by it self under ordinary pressure and temperature?
In other words, can it be stored as a metallic "bar" without danger?

It’s all surface area driven. That and occluded hydrogen.

Hydrogen saturated Os sponge starting at room temp literally glows red and self ignites to the tetroxide. That same sponge, if calcined to 1000C doesn’t do anything exciting at all. We call unreactive metal and oxides “dead burnt”

I have solid osmium bars both sintered and arc melted and their weight doesn’t change over years…

It’s all surface area driven. That and occluded hydrogen.

Hydrogen saturated Os sponge starting at room temp literally glows red and self ignites to the tetroxide. That same sponge, if calcined to 1000C doesn’t do anything exciting at all. We call unreactive metal and oxides “dead burnt”

I have solid osmium bars both sintered and arc melted and their weight doesn’t change over years…
Thanks, interesting.

Back