Question about sodium cyanide destruction or detoxifition

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Himel_5

Hi guys....
I'm a goldsmith in Bangladesh.This is my first post...I had recovered gold from gold plated pins using sodium cyanide+m-nbss+H2O2.
My question was how to destroy sodium cyanide after recovering gold out of the solution.
Need a step by step process. Cause I don't want to harm everybody as well as lovely nature. Help me pls....

You are best off to leave it to the professionals and have it disposed of responsibly.

Bleach and peroxide both destroy free CN, but most large facilities use thermal hydrolysis to decompose it.

Himel_5 said:
Hi guys....
I'm a goldsmith in Bangladesh.This is my first post...I had recovered gold from gold plated pins using sodium cyanide+m-nbss+H2O2.
My question was how to destroy sodium cyanide after recovering gold out of the solution.
Need a step by step process. Cause I don't want to harm everybody as well as lovely nature. Help me pls....
############

I am told that the cyanide radical is reliably split into harmless compounds by the simple admixture of bleach. That is usually 'Chlorox' brand here but any equivalent mixture of sodium hypochlorite and water ( however unclean) will work.
Here in the USA we often hear of the atrocious pollution of the environment in your part of the world. Your concern to preserve it is highly commendable. We all must somehow learn how to exist upon the same blue marble.
John

I'm fairly certain that one step bleach only converts it to cyanate, which is still considered toxic waste. According to the MSDS's, potassium cyanide is about 160 times more toxic than potassium cyanate, at least in rats. There are extended bleach methods that will break it down to nitrogen and carbon dioxide.

Check this post by 4metals and read the whole thread.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7627&p=70020&hilit=cyanide+orp#p70020

Unfortunately all the way to N2, cyanide oxidation gives also byproducts.
Therefore, for large amounts follow Lou advise.

Latest posts

Back