Question on Gold Cell?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeneje

Hey Guys,

I have used my gold cell to de-plate some jewelry, setup two rinse bowls, as I moved the pieces from the cell I rinsed them in one bowl and moved them to the other bowl. Good so far, stopped using the cell for the night, rinsed the basket and lead bar, covered the cell. The first rinse bowl settled out and the black powder is on the bottom, great. The second bowl where I left the jewelry also had some black powder, good no problem there. Today when I went back to remove the jewelry from the second bowl I noticed that there was a reaction going on inside with the de-plated jewelry.

I tested the solution with stannous and got a very slight color of purple, positive for gold, ok. Then as I looked closer the jewelry was covered with a grey to black powder, I done another test with DMG no color change, ok.

I thought I would test it with my silver testing solution which came in the testing kit I brought. I got an immediate color change to yellow. As I type this the reaction is still going on and the jewelry is dissolving in a mild mix of H2S04 that came from the cell.

Two question, first should I leave the jewelry and let it finish dissolving or to the reaction quits. Second, will a mild H2S04 dissolve silver that may have been alloyed with the jewelry.

Thanks for any suggestion on this.

Ken

Attachments

• Silver_testing_kit.JPG
    Silver_testing_kit.JPG
    36.7 KB
  • Silver_testing.JPG
    Silver_testing.JPG
    30 KB
  • rinse_bowl_2.JPG
    rinse_bowl_2.JPG
    53.6 KB
The reaction is most likely just base metals above Hydrogen in the reactivity series.

The yellow reaction with Schwerters silver testing solution is most likely yellow colored from lead.

http://www.lacywest.com/t_goldt.htm

butcher said:
The reaction is most likely just base metals above Hydrogen in the reactivity series.

The yellow reaction with Schwerters silver testing solution is most likely yellow colored from lead.

http://www.lacywest.com/t_goldt.htm
Thanks Butcher,
I see no need to allow the reaction to continue then. I will remove the jewelry and decant the solution for the black powder.

Ken

I said (below) when I should have said above hydrogen in the reactivity series of metals, I corrected my mistake in red, I have a bad habit of saying what I am thinking backwards.

butcher said:
I said (below) when I should have said above hydrogen in the reactivity series of metals, I corrected my mistake in red, I have a bad habit of saying what I am thinking backwards.

you and me both brother. :lol:

Latest posts

Back