QUICK CHEMISTRY REFINE QUESTION

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Refine2017

I have a brownish reddish solution. (Gold or iron)
I added sodium metabisulfite to refine and reduce it.

If the solution is iron, the sodium metabisulfite won't make it fall to the bottom or it will??

So far the solution fell to the bottom and the rest of the solution is clear.
Does sodium metabisulfite have this type of effect on iron and other metals or just gold?

The solution was 45 ml and cloudy brown. Then I added about 15 mg of SMB then I stirred it I heated the solution and then let it sit in the sun for about 2 days

Refine2017 said:
The solution was 45 ml and cloudy brown. Then I added about 15 mg of SMB then I stirred it I heated the solution and then let it sit in the sun for about 2 days

Color is a very, very bad way to judge if precious metals were in solution, if not the worst..
Search "stannous chloride colors"
Learn how to use it to test for gold, palladium, platinum
Copperas testing for gold as well
Dimethylglyoxime for Pd also.(and nickel)

...and when you do eventually get PM's in solution, you shouldnt ever precipitate from turbid solutions, it causes more problems later down the line.

You really need to read Hoke's books (yes, NEED, it's a necessity) and all of the threads in the library. They will teach you so, so much

Topher_osAUrus said:
Refine2017 said:

Color is a very, very bad way to judge if precious metals were in solution, if not the worst..
Search "stannous chloride colors"
Learn how to use it to test for gold, palladium, platinum
Copperas testing for gold as well
Dimethylglyoxime for Pd also.(and nickel)

...and when you do eventually get PM's in solution, you shouldnt ever precipitate from turbid solutions, it causes more problems later down the line.

You really need to read Hoke's books (yes, NEED, it's a necessity) and all of the threads in the library. They will teach you so, so much

Thanks. I appreciate it

There is an absolute proof for gold, which won't let you down

Attachments

• zinc rod.jpg
    zinc rod.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 103

Latest posts

Back