Quick question on making a crucible from a harder substance than graphene

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13liberty

I made and bought several crucible made from graphene. Each time I dealt with melting materials my crucible would turn brittle. I know that I'm not making a great crucible, but when I tried buying from numerous sources the same happened so I'm guessing it's my experiment.

My question is can I make a crucible out diamond powder? I see the cost of diamond powders are relatively cheap. I was wondering is it possible to create a crucible from these powders??? That's my question. That's it. Nothing else.i just need help someone to help me answer it.
ThanKs

You don't want a crucible to melt in, you want a melting dish.

Like this;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Melting-Crucible-Dish-Set-Kit-2-Crucibles-Whip-Handle-Borax-Melt-Gold-Silver-/221412915580?epid=1159621011&hash=item338d3cf97c:g:FNEAAOSwyQtVsE51

jimdoc said:
You don't want a crucible to melt in, you want a melting dish.

Like this;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Melting-Crucible-Dish-Set-Kit-2-Crucibles-Whip-Handle-Borax-Melt-Gold-Silver-/221412915580?epid=1159621011&hash=item338d3cf97c:g:FNEAAOSwyQtVsE51

Oh, okay. Sounds great. Im gonna buy that thanks for the advice?

Hey what do you think about a diamond crucible from diamond powder? Is that possible? Can you make that powder solid again? Out of curiosity

What are you melting? What are you melting it in, what type of furnace or torch or oven? And finally how much are you melting at once?

I have literally melted most metals in large and small quantities, and never had issues getting crucibles or melt dishes from a supplier. Why are you looking to re-invent the wheel? What is unique about what you are doing that requires all of the energy you are putting into this?

4metals said:
What are you melting? What are you melting it in, what type of furnace or torch or oven? And finally how much are you melting at once?

I have literally melted most metals in large and small quantities, and never had issues getting crucibles or melt dishes from a supplier. Why are you looking to re-invent the wheel? What is unique about what you are doing that requires all of the energy you are putting into this?

I'm melting two metals
Silver and steel metal bars so that I may create An alloy.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. I thought that since diamond is the strongest material. The crucible would stay and last longer? All I want to know is if it is possible to make a crucible from the diamond powder

Melting steel isn't so easy, how do you plan on doing that?
Making an alloy out of steel and silver?, why?
You didn't answer 4metals question;
What are you melting it in, what type of furnace or torch or oven? And finally how much are you melting at once?

Well, if you can alloy steel and silver. You are a God amongst men. Since the two are immiscible in one another to any appreciable extent.

I believe it is because iron oxidizes so easily, and silver sucks up volumes of oxygen in the melt (then spitting it out on cooling, thus the iron forms oxides and silicates in the flux.

I can also be wrong, nothing unusual about that.

Sorry Jimdoc,

I did not read back far enough of the discussion.
I would say it would be practically impossible to alloy silver and steel to any extent (of percentages), although there is an alloy of silver steel for tool steel (only problem there is no silver in it) :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_steel

German silver come to mind.
which has no silver (copper nickel and zinc).
PS I melt steel really easy (when trying to make a weld to pass code).

Thanks for your answers, they are interesting. It would be even more interesting if you could tell me what 13Liberty was thinking. :) I am just curious of his purpose for wanting that alloy.

my two cents:

Diamond is a phenomenal conductor of heat... not a desirable characteristic if you are trying to keep something molten.

It would also degrade it the presence of oxygen plasma (like in an oxidizing flame from your torch) just like graphite... since both are carbon.

and another note... diamond has a high hardness, but its not particularly tough. It is very brittle on its own.

okay, i guess that was three cents :p

Topher_osAUrus said:
anachronism said:
Is this some Damascan steel type of thing perhaps?

Generally thats done with steels of differing carbon content and nickel content, I believe.

Yup, correct. The layers of steel are then forge welded together and worked to produce patterns.
The more precious metal variety of the method is called mokume gane.

Latest posts

Back