Quick question on the multiple uses of CuCl2-leaching

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bemate

Disclaimer: I'm still reading Hokes and going through the slightly labyrinthian sub-forums, so I realize I might be way off here, but a thought has occurred to me.

My situation is that I have fairly limited access to Nitric, not loads of space to store scrap and a small but steady stream of scrap coming my way (for now).

The bulk of my gold-bearing scrap after depopulating and sorting breaks down into flatpacks, contacts with pins, trimmed fingers and loose pins. I'm saving cpu's, mlcc's and tantalum caps until I have more volume.

I do have access to HCL, peroxide and pure CuCl2 from leftover chemicals.

My thought is as follows: Flatpacks get incinerated, washed and put to AR, simple enough if Nitric is not a problem. Pins get sorted into magnetic and non-magnetic and processed in AP, though the leftovers from the magnetic ones is waste. For contacts I have still to find a good consensus...

What if, considering that HCL, H2O2 and CuCl2 are easy to come by, I set up a batch-based system rather than a continuous one. Then I could mix a batch of 20% HCL, add some CuCl2-solution, a dash of H2O2 and start up the aquarium bubbles and drop my fingers in. While those are cooking, I incinerate my plugs and flatpacks en masse and wash through the ashes to recover my pins and bonding wire, combine with my pins, magnetic or not, and run these through the AP once the fingers are done.

That would leave me with lots of gold foils, some debris from the incinerated stuff and a bucket full of spent AP ready for copper cementing and further waste treatment.

And before you yell at me, this is of course far from ideal and somewhat wasteful, but then again, it makes the process a bit more streamlined for batch processing rather than continuous recovery/refining.

Disregarding the obvious objections about not-so-ideal treatment of the scrap, time spent vs yield and other perfectly reasonable counter arguments; would this kind of set up work at all?

I am sure the term "cooking" is used purely euphemistically, so the answer is pretty much yes.

If I may suggest two minor optimisations:
1: You might consider magnetic separation on the flatpack washings too, and handle that low grade material as you would pins in AP.
2: H2O2 is only used to kickstart the initial generation of CuCl2. So if you already have 'starter' CuCl2 and a bubbler, you have no need for any H2O2 at all. Though you may use it if you wish.

jason_recliner said:
I am sure the term "cooking" is used purely euphemistically, so the answer is pretty much yes.

If I may suggest two minor optimisations:
1: You might consider magnetic separation on the flatpack washings too, and handle that low grade material as you would pins in AP.
2: H2O2 is only used to kickstart the initial generation of CuCl2. So if you already have 'starter' CuCl2 and a bubbler, you have no need for any H2O2 at all. Though you may use it if you wish.

Yes, cooking as in processing. :wink:

And as for the use of H2O2, I was pretty sure I wouldn't need it, as you say, but then again, this is mostly a thought experiment for now. Winter is coming, and it's going to be a long one, as they say. I have many more months of reading, making my mind up and changing it again several times over. With a bit of luck and more time to gauge the availability of scrap, I'll decide to run long term rather than by the batch as well.

Anyways, thanks for the input. :)

Latest posts

Back