ran into a road block

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addicted

Ran into a road block this evening with the AR process. After doing a bit of research im still at a lossas to what i did incorrectly. I heated 200G of plated pins in 800ml of 32%HCL and once heated incrementally added small portions of potassium nitrate i had recrystalized from stump remover. The reaction was as expected and after around an hour of this i had completly disolved all base metals into solution. Only thing that remained was a bunch of gold foils?.....i added a bit more nitrate and waited but no dissolution....i filtered the solution and was able to obtain a nice bit of foils clean and clear....i then changed the filter because at the bottom of my beaker was a white and precipitate.....i assume this to be either the left over salts from my nitrate or possibly AGCL. I then changed my filter and filtered the rest of this precipitate because i can clearly see more foils in it. I seperated this from the batch of filters with clean foils and placed it in a glass container. So my questions are as follows:
1: how can i seperate the gold from this previpitate safely and effectively? HCL/CL ?
2:why did my ar solution not dissolve the gold?
3: when testing the solution with stannous chloride i do not get a violet reaction as expected....instead it turn a pale green...?

My stannous was produced by heating (not boiling) 32%HCL 30ml and then adding 2g of a 97% tin solder. After the tin had evaporated into solution it was filtered to remove the remaining contaminants and placed in a amber glass vial i had With a small amount of tin at the bottom to keep the solution active.
If anyone can please give me either guidance or a good reference to start reading ( not hokes - i looked and found nothing of relevance ) it would be very much appreciated.

It sounds like you saturated the solution with base metal. Did you add any extra water? The extra water is an important component of poor mans AR. I would suggest that as long as you are following good safety practices, add all of the material and solution to a large enough container to include another hundred ml's of HCl and at least another hundred ml's of water. Tap water will work for this.

addicted said:
I heated 200G of plated pins in 800ml of 32%HCL and once heated incrementally added small portions of potassium nitrate i had recrystalized from stump remover. The reaction was as expected and after around an hour of this i had completly disolved all base metals into solution.
You will also likely have dissolved some of your gold, which would cement back out of solution and is probably now in one or more of your filter papers.

addicted said:
1: how can i seperate the gold from this previpitate safely and effectively?
The acid peroxide (AP) process would be perfect if not for the fact it is too late now.

addicted said:
My stannous was produced by heating (not boiling) 32%HCL 30ml and then adding 2g of a 97% tin solder. After the tin had [stt]evaporated[/stt] dissolved into solution it was filtered to remove the remaining contaminants and placed in a amber glass vial i had With a small amount of tin at the bottom to keep the solution active.
If anyone can please give me either guidance or a good reference to start reading ( not hokes - i looked and found nothing of relevance ) it would be very much appreciated.
Look again. Taking the time to read Ms Hoke's book will give you a better base understanding of what you're doing.
For example, she explains that 4 fluid ounces of HCl + 1 of Nitric will dissolve an ounce of gold. I don't know the figures for your other metal but let's start there as a guide. Having put 200g of pins into 800ml of HCl acid, a good chunk of which has been consumed to make the nitric component in your Poor Mans AR and leave behind KCl. So you'd be about 150ml short on total acid. Plus water for your KCl.

Do as Geo suggests. And read Hoke. If you refuse, you'll find very little support here.

Ahh water!! I knew it was something simple that i missed! And yes i will continue to use hokes as s referance to my experiments. Im more of a learn by doin person than i am a learn by reading so continually resding with out trying some of it out is pointless for me. I will try out another batch of pins soon. Sounds like i need to do a bit more reading before i try though. Thank for your All your help and support with a new refiner

Amount of gold from 200g of pins will be hardly visible. Your foils even that they look nice are mostly nickel with bit of plating on top.

I realize that. This was more a proof in process kinda thing. Like i said before i learn by doing so this just gave me a better understanding of the process, how it works, seeing visuals on the reactions, the pins im using are from ram slots so theres really not anything on them anyways.just a flash plating.

Latest posts

Back