RE: Silver Coating on Aluminium Base

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balasparks

we are having a process for refining of SILVER on a aluminium base material.there is no doubt in that process.
But the box having a paint coating only at the outer side of the box.

So my questions are,
1.We are stripping the silver using HNO3.Whether Nitric acid is capable of removing the paint coating?
Because we don't know that,Silver is coated beneath the paint coating.

2.Or is there any paint remover available to remove the coating without disturbing the beneath coating(Either Aluminium or Silver)

If HNO3 is good enough,then it will be very useful for my studies on this process.

Hi!
When I first started collecting computer scrap I had several buckets of silver plated aluminum/copper heat sinks that were left outside thru the winter and spring. When I was pouring the rain water out about half the silver plating was in the bottom of the buckets and most of the rest could be easily peeled off.
Just thought it might be interesting if you are in no hurry and don't want to use chemicals.
Art.

Attachments

• 20160707_120949.jpg
    20160707_120949.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 145
I agree. From experience as electroplater, the quality of silver coating on aluminum is always poor

Is there any way to drop the aluminium from the hcl ? if the aluminium is the only metal in solution

dscrapper said:
Is there any way to drop the aluminium from the hcl ? if the aluminium is the only metal in solution

Aluminum hydroxide should crash out when you raise the pH to >5 (I believe). Could accomplish that with sodium hydroxide (NaOH).

Latest posts

Back