Reactivity Series

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JATSLO

I found this website, because I have a question:
If hydrazine sulfate will drop the PGM chorides from aqua ammonia sequentially every thirty minutes, then isn't it also true that all elements can be dropped sequentially in thirty minute intervals? Just some background on me: I'm a miner in search of gold, and occasionally I find rich sources of other elements like Boaxite (Aluminum Ore), nickel, copper...etc. Quite often there is a trace amount of gold or no gold at all, and a lot of something else, for example. Aluminum is quite hard to process, 25% yield of metal is quite a lot, when combined. Being able to drop elements in sequence would be helpful in identification.

I'll expand a little: A saltwater system produced insoluble platinum group chlorides that dissolved in aqua ammonia and were precipitated out sequentially at 30 minute intervals by hydrazine sulfate. The precipitates are called platinum compound chlorides. They also say that compounds must undergo thermal decomposition to remove the chlorine that is a white gas or the compounds will vaporize otherwise. I'm assuming that the premise is a repeatable and proven hypothesis, and I'm concluding that other elements will drop sequentially as well.

Last edited:
I'll expand a little: A saltwater system produced insoluble platinum group chlorides that dissolved in aqua ammonia and were precipitated out sequentially at 30 minute intervals by hydrazine sulfate. The precipitates are called platinum compound chlorides. They also say that compounds must undergo thermal decomposition to remove the chlorine that is a white gas or the compounds will vaporize otherwise.
I'm assuming that the premise is a repeatable and proven hypothesis, and I'm concluding that other elements will drop sequentially as well.
I guess Lou will chime in on this?

Okay. Silver chloride is another insoluble that is a byproduct of this system, and since alloy cannot contain more than 20% platinum, I am assuming that silver is not used. Although, it would make sense that silver chloride would make up the 7th spot. I have heard the silver would create pacification, so the platinum silver alloy would have to be less than or equal to 20%, so in that case gold makes more sense. You'd kill eight birds with one stone, so to speak.

Back