Really need help =D (gold from computer parts)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likarus

Hello!
For school project i decided to make gold from computer parts. I started searching about this on internet and i found a lot of interesting things. First of all i dont want to do any dangerous experiments like one with cyanide because I think I dont got enough experience for such a things. I searched on youtube and found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3yxYYaQQy8 I send messege to men who made this video but he didnt responded. So i decided to post this video here and I hope someone will help me. I found some computer parts and removed gold. I put gold in aqua regia, but because it was holidays I coudnt put magnesium in mixture. So after one week I added magnesium and nothing happened. Magnesium which is ment for neutralizing AR didnt react so i thought the mixture was after one week neutralized. So i got question what now? :?: I still got mixture of AR and gold so should I filter this mixture and i will get gold powder or what should i do? Please help me my education and safety is in your hands. :) :?

PS: If someone dont understand what I tought to do let me know and i will rewrite this text.

Likarus,
Forget EVERYTHING in that video it is all BS.

Tell exactly what you have done step by step up until now.

As long as you don't throw anything away you should not lose any values.
But we need to know everything you have done to be able to fix this mess.
We need to know type of processor or source of gold and how much.
We need to know what chemicals were used and quantities.
How much other metals were added to drop gold :shock:
Also where are you doing this work at :?:

Tom C.

Edit to add:
Watch these videos for correct information on ceramic processors only.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=12845&start=160#p126914

Don't go by what some of these 'clowns' on Youtube post. Do your searches here in this forum if you want reliable info. You need to do some thorough studying on this subject to be safe and not mess up what you are trying to do. You are working with some potentially dangerous chemicals and reactions. Safety is of utmost importance!!!!!! Other more knowledgeable members will chime in to help you.

From the looks of that "Gold powder" that he yielded from the one CPU, I think I will do it his way from now on. There must be the better part of an ounce there! I had no idea one processor contained so much Gold!
This was wrote using mass amounts of sarcasm. :|

I'm not an expert on the AR process, but I do know that you need to do it in a safe place, like under a fume hood or out doors away from everyone. Where do you have this solution stored? How much material did you put in the AR? What type of processors did you put in it? Knowing what type of processors you put in it will help us to know what metals are in there.

niteliteone said:
maynman1751 said:
Other more knowledgeable members will chime in to help you.

Would you please clarify this statement.

Tom C.

Tom, I didn't feel adequately qualified to to give the most accurate advice. It was not directed at your post. You posted while I was typing mine, so it got a little out of order.

Ok first of all thank you for fast response.
Process: - I got cpus and some pins from computer
- First i wanted to make test how this reaction look like so i used small amount of pins and about 2 cpus. I still got 4 more cpus and some more pins ( picture ) + I will get 3-4 more computers in a couple of days.
- I put scrap in AR ( HNO3 and HCl 1:3 ) reaction was sucessful.
- Than i left everything for 1 week ( holidays ) after this i put 1 more cpu inside but gold didnt dissolved and 1 more day after this i put inside some magnesium ( like in the video ) but nothing happened. So if im right magnesium was meant to neutralize AR. But gold didnt dissolved so acid neutralization happened before i put third cpu inside.
- I talked with my teacher today and he said i can filter and dry gold..and after this it can be melted down. And this is it. But i think you guys know much more about this things than he knows so I decided to wait for a week and do some more researches here on this nice forum =D
- I do this experiment in school laboratory.
Oh and i read somewhere on internet that before you use AR you can put gold in HNO3 to get rid of any other materials is this true?

Attachments

• IMAG0682.jpg
    IMAG0682.jpg
    1.7 MB
  • IMAG0683.jpg
    IMAG0683.jpg
    2.3 MB
  • IMAG0688.jpg
    IMAG0688.jpg
    1.3 MB
Don't put anymore material in the solution. Just hold off on things until you know more about what to do. The materials should be separated and processed differently, the pins one way, the CPUs another. The best way to do the Gold fingers cut from add on cards is to use what we call AP, which is a solution of HCL and H2O2. The pins can be done in a cell. Each item has different base metals so each item needs to be processed differently. Lazersteve has some videos on his site http://goldrecovery.us/ that will show you some of the processes commonly used. Use the search function at the top of the page here to search the forum for different methods. Examples of some things you might search for would be "Acid Peroxide" or "Sulfuric Cell". Download a free copy of CM Hokes book on refining precious metals and do some reading in it. It explains many things about refining in layman's terms that are easy to understand. Don't get in a hurry, take your time and learn the right way, you will get more Gold and more education that way. Go watch those free videos and get the book, you can download it free using the link below.

Geo said:
is that some kind of solution in a metal can in the top photo? very bad idea.
:shock: I think it is! :shock:
It was my understanding that this experiment was being done at school with the teachers supervision, but I would think that a science teacher would be using laboratory glassware. I guess we shouldn't assume anything these days.

Claudie said:
Geo said:
is that some kind of solution in a metal can in the top photo? very bad idea.
:shock: I think it is! :shock:
It was my understanding that this experiment was being done at school with the teachers supervision, but I would think that a science teacher would be using laboratory glassware. I guess we shouldn't assume anything these days.
Yea i know its metal can and its bad idea but we made reaction in glassware and than put in can . And this was only for testing we are going to repeat this proces with better equipment...

My friend
Do not take this teacher's advice on anything! You are fortunate to have survived this experiment at all. I done his/her conduct irresponsible and reckless.
No you cannot filter and "melt your gold"! There is such a small quantity it would likely not even be visible, let alone "meltable".
It honestly sounds like the bozos who made the youtube video have more knowledge of the science than this teacher. The use of magnesium is a crude form of precipitation via ion exchange. Unfortunately the steel from the can may have done that already, only more crudely still.
If you do not mind of asking you this, how old are you and your classmates?

dtectr said:
My friend
Do not take this teacher's advice on anything! You are fortunate to have survived this experiment at all. I done his/her conduct irresponsible and reckless.
No you cannot filter and "melt your gold"! There is such a small quantity it would likely not even be visible, let alone "meltable".
It honestly sounds like the bozos who made the youtube video have more knowledge of the science than this teacher. The use of magnesium is a crude form of precipitation via ion exchange. Unfortunately the steel from the can may have done that already, only more crudely still.
If you do not mind of asking you this, how old are you and your classmates?
Nice to hear this... im 18 btw

ok it seems that i will need to rethink everything again and use more reliable information... :lol: :lol:

likarus said:
ok it seems that i will need to rethink everything again and use more reliable information... :lol: :lol:
This is truly a sign of wisdom - if only I would have understood this when I was 18 . . .
Stay on this forum and do your homework and you may very well achieve more than us, your elders. Make sure you keep us apprised of your progress.

This homework is really hard but if you have some support and if you take it as a challange it shouldnt be problem =D

This "teacher" should be reported if he advised you on this project, or better that he allowed you play with acids and did not advised not to use metal containers. :shock:

patnor1011 said:
This "teacher" should be reported if he advised you on this project, or better that he allowed you play with acids and did not advised not to use metal containers. :shock:
My thoughts exactly, patnor- I felt that I had ranted enough - thank you for picking us the torch. likarus demonstrates good sense and a willingness to do the work - lets do what we can to help - what do you say, guys and gals?

Latest posts

Back