recover Ag from (Ag - ammonia ) solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leondavids

Hello Great forum , i have come to a brick wall and hve come in search of some useful advice. The hoke book advises , to put Ag chloride back into solution that i should use ammonia.My question is how do i precipitate it from the ( Ag - ammonia ) solution so that no values are lost?

THANKING ALL IN ADVANCE.

As I understand the reaction, once the AgCl is in solution the best route is to filter it then add salt (NaCl) or hydrochloric acid (HCl) which will remove the ammonia and drop the silver as AgCl. I also believe that you can cement it with copper.

Ammonia will dissolve silver chloride, but ammonia and silver solutions can be dangerous if allowed to dry,(just drying, it could detonate, as it can be shock or temperature sensitive) ,acidifying will precipitate your silver and make the solution safe. Use HCl to precipitate the silver.

I would not add salt NaCl or try to cement with copper, it could blow up in your face!

Latest posts

Back