Recovering silver and palladium from MLCC:s

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting! We need to improvise quite a lot on this subject ^^

I'll just go to my cellar and see what I can improvise and make with my metal scraps.

Yawn Patrick, that´s an old hat. My grandmother used to grind them MLCCs like that ages ago...
10_224b11ac2f26158a458b658b70dcb005.jpg

Not any big revelations yet from me. The second time I tried to process MLCC:s it worked a whole lot different than the first time and I ended up with just a big mess of what I suspect a mixture of silver chloride with metastannic acid. I'll probably get on with experimenting with MLCC:s again in a month or two.

So far I got 14 grams of black powder in a small beaker, all recovered with zinc and nothing refined yet.

I read some time ago that going from a nitric solution with silver and palladium needs special treatment when adding chloride so you don't end up with a palladium - silver complex that is hard to break up but I haven't been able to locate it again. This forum is getting so big that even the oldtimers have a hard time to find what they are seeking.

Göran

What would you do with it? Send it to someone like Lou?

I have about 700 grams of MLCC's and in the next month or two I do plan on going after the palladium but know I cannot melt it with the torch I have and I enjoy hoarding my gold but I'm at a loss on what to do with the palladium. Don't have enough to send to a refiner (who would probably rip me off anyway) and figured No one else who buys it near me would take black unknown powder. Maybe I can find someone around here to melt it for me. But I don't think I want to hoard it like my gold.

All day long I think, search and read about NaOH with some H2O2 to dissolve tin and lead, I read stannates/plumbates/hydroxides back and forth, up and down, but neither I can find anything about using this method to prepare mlcc's, nor any reason, why this not should be a valid method. Has anybody else ever seen posts about NaOH on mlcc's?

I go on thinking and searching. I have 400g, now, and surely 100g left on a bunch of boards waiting to get scrapped for the last values.

By the way, today I found a strange flipchip (!), with goldplating beneath the silicon die. No bondwires ofcourse, but a lot plating. Strange...

Have a nice day all of you!

I'm just hoarding until I have enough to do a proper refining.
When I have pure (relatively) I'll try to melt it together and then I can hoard the metals.

:mrgreen:

I have no need of selling the metals and if I would I have a lot of other stuff to sell before I have to part with any metals I've dug out of old electronics. It would be another thing if I had bought the scrap in the first place.
It would be good to have a list of places that would buy precious metals in Europe, I have a better grip of the north American market than where I live. :oops:

Göran

silver chloride with metastannic acid mess (bla :evil:)

i am going nuts with these darn mlcc's

my post:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=20518&p=211572#p211572

Check out those two adding the search item NaOH. I believe you could smack two flies at once, metastannic gets soluble and AgCl will become Ag2O. Check for side effects first. Don't use KOH. Try with a small probe first, if you decide to try. Wait, if anyone wants to comment this.

i have read every post i can find, i am just so confused. (noob attack)

my powder is still as it was. i am not jumping till i understand well

so......

my powder contains: (i think & hope)

silver, palladium, tin & maybe some other metals (cobalt, titanium)

if i use the NaOH process & filter what will be left in the filter ? what will be left in the filtered liquid ?

what mixture of NaOH (Lye) & water do i use

when i read about 30g of palladium from 1kg of mlcc it excites me very much & would love to learn this process
i have & get a good amount of mlcc to keep me busy

thank you for all your help

Some PM salts must not be treated with NaOH (danger!). What I wrote would only be an idea, if those where in elemental form. I think it is best to wait. This seems to be more complicated than it looks like.

yes it is, Lions, Tigers & Bears Oh My :lol:

but i have went over my original math, it seems that i didn't use enough HCL

but they did soak for a month. should i restart from the "soak in HCL" to see if i missed any base metals ?
like dreaded tin. it did take forever to filter originally.

Now I am confused. Didn't you add nitric, yet? If you did not add nitric, everything should be good. Only not enough HCl like you are assuming. But try with a small amount first.

no nitric used, i was told to go with Lye or thiosulfate or Ammonium hydroxide, or set up a silver cell
confused i then started reading, got lost & am now still stuck at step 5.

i am at the same point as i was in this post:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=20518&p=211572#p210365

Forget the silver, leach the base metals, then get the palladium. The silver chloride will stay in the solids and can be recovered after you got the palladium...save it till when you feel bored. my two cents...

Until now, none of the different wet methods on mlcc's look perfect to me, just like cats.

ok, thats what i was confused about. some say silver first, some say palladium first, will chase the palladium asap
will update in my post

thanks solar_plasma

I know exactly what you mean, I was confused, too, when I read all the different styles. But in the end 30g Pd are maybe 500$, 100g Ag are 40$...almost trash. Trash that is nice to play with, when there is nothing else to do.

Just remember, there will be some traces of Pd in the AgCl and there will be some traces of AgCl dissolved in strong AR, if you choose to use the hard stuff for the last leaches.

Hey Necro,

Can you post your method when you finish? I would be interested since I have about a kg of MLCC's myself I would like to process. What's your plan with the Pd once you get it?

Back