Recovering Silver from Hypo fixer solution of Medical X-ray

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Juan Manuel Arcos Frank said:
Arsenic123:

The trick of this process is to determine silver content to add the correct amount of Na2S,as simple like this.If you add more Na2S than needed then you will form H2S.No need to use NaOH for common fixers used in photo processes and X ray.

Since I am not sure about the exact amount of silver present in my fixer there is a high probability that I will add extra Na2S. So I am pretty sure I will form the deadly H2s. :(

You do not need silver estimating paper,copper wire will do the job nicely.Looking at your copper wires I see there is very low silver content...good fixers plate copper wire very fast(in 1 second)...so I think you have very low silver content.Take a look to the container´s bottom...probably there is a grey mud,this happens when fixer are stored for a long time.

Keep us posted about your progress.

Kindest regrads.

Manuel

I agree it was stored for a long time. Infact it was in the Carboy for like 8-10 months. I just picked it up from the hospital loaded in my car and brought it to my place. I thought that silver might have settled down so I had shaked the bottle before testing and then put the copper wire. Anyways as I said I will still process it no matter how low silver it contains. I cant see the mud below because the carboy is dark black plastic carboy so I cant see it. i will probably get the actual picture when I empty the carboy in a plastic bucket. I will keep on adding photos as I go on.

Thank you very much

arsenic123 said:
Since I am not sure about the exact amount of silver present in my fixer there is a high probability that I will add extra Na2S. So I am pretty sure I will form the deadly H2s.
Since it's a new process for you and you don't know the silver content, be sure to start with a small batch. You can work out the amount of sodium sulfide you'll need on a small batch, then scale it up to the rest of the solution.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
arsenic123 said:
Since I am not sure about the exact amount of silver present in my fixer there is a high probability that I will add extra Na2S. So I am pretty sure I will form the deadly H2s.
Since it's a new process for you and you don't know the silver content, be sure to start with a small batch. You can work out the amount of sodium sulfide you'll need on a small batch, then scale it up to the rest of the solution.

Dave
Thank you very much for the tip. I will run a small batch and keep updating you guys as I go on hopefully with photos.. :)

Arsenic123:

Ok...go ahead but remember that you must do it outside.

Before you start filter the fix,that grey mud could contain a mixture of sulfides(including silver sulphide).

Answer the following:

Dip the copper wire for 1 second...What happens?

Manuel

Arsenic123:

Ok...go ahead but remember that you must do it outside.

Before you start filter the fix,that grey mud could contain a mixture of sulfides(including silver sulphide).

Answer the following:

Dip the copper wire for 1 second...What happens?

Manuel

I have posted the photo but I had dipped it in the fixer for 5 to 7 second. Here is another photo. I had dipped it for 1 sec but I didn't see much colour change in the copper wire so I had read it in one of your post to dip for 5 second and then I dipped for 5 second.

Attachments

• 20140403_001309.jpg
    20140403_001309.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 320
Arsenic123:

Manuel

I will filter it and post photos too. Still have couple of days to start but will keep you guys posted.
Thank you very much.

Back